English Chords Are Surprisingly Easy

The past week I've been working on learning chords, and I'm very pleased with how easy the English system makes them. The only tricky one I've found so far is Bm. I'm not starting to workon chords in multiple octaves, and chord inversions. The inversions are a little tough right now I must admit, because I'm still trying to map out, in my brain, what the notes are, but once I know what I want, it's very easy to play it.

Now I just need to find people to play with. :(

Jeff:

You give me great hope!  Perhaps I, too will have it fairly easy....Someone might be in your neck of the woods, but you haven't listed where you live in your bio! 

Greg

Whoops...you're right. I just updated my profile. Actually, I'm not too far from you Greg; I'm in Columbus, Ohio.

How long have you been playing an English?

• 2 weeks later...
How long have you been playing an English?

Sorry to take so long to respond! We've been busy as one-armed paperhangers these days! I have actually been playing for 2 days.... :P

Perhaps after I improve enough to be fit for human consumption, we can get together sometime. I have family in Dayton, and I'm over there pretty regularly anyway. I actually get over to Columbus about once or twice a year, as you have the AMA motorcycle hall of fame and museum...

Greg

Maybe we could turn it into a Midwest Squeeze-in.  :)

Don't tempt me! I've been searching the 'net for concertina events in Indy, and have come up with Contra dancing as the closest thing I can find. I'll have to see if they know of other events not listed electronically....wouldn't it be cool to have a Midwestern event???? Heck, we could have it at MY HOUSE! Plenty of on-street parking, and the neighbors already hate me!!! B)

Greg

It's kind of a small festival, so I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it. I'm not even sure I'd recommend it given the distance. The closest thing to a concertina class is "Love Your Accordian" taught by Marion Funk (a really good local accordianist). I don't know what it will cover, but I'll going to go and find out.

I see a "sea chanties" workshop on Sat, tent #1, 3 pm....you might pick soething up there....

I'll probably pass until you can review it for us, given the distance and lack of info.

PLus, so far the summer has been ungodly busy. <_<