The 5-inch Jeffries: Fact or Legend?

18 hours ago, alex_holden said:

You could be right. I was assuming his finger was over one button rather than between two. That doesn't explain the presence of a left thumb button though - does this instrument have 30 buttons plus a drone?

I know the Dippers somehow managed a 5inch C/G with 34 buttons... an impressive feat!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jewish Leprechaun said:

I know the Dippers somehow managed a 5inch C/G with 34 buttons...

The link says "I think the concertina itself is about 5 inches across the flats." It could have been a bit bigger than 5" and still look small by comparison with a standard 6" or 6 1/4" box. John Dipper's website gives the Clare I as 5 1/4" and the Clare II as 5 5/8" and indicates the professional model as having 30 - 34 buttons.

LJ

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Little John said:

The link says "I think the concertina itself is about 5 inches across the flats." It could have been a bit bigger than 5" and still look small by comparison with a standard 6" or 6 1/4" box. John Dipper's website gives the Clare I as 5 1/4" and the Clare II as 5 5/8" and indicates the professional model as having 30 - 34 buttons.

LJ

Very true LJ, most likely it is 5.25 inches, but 5 inches with 30 buttons or 5.25 inches with 34 buttons, either way there's some serious engineering going on inside these pint-sized 'tinas.

Edited by Jewish Leprechaun
grammar
  • Like 1