Irish Music, English Concertina!

A mazurka and two reels. I learned the last tune from box player Sean McGlynn years ago, but never got a name for it so we call it after him, Sean McGlynn's. 

Anyone else out there playing Irish music on the English system concertina? I would love to hear from you!

Edited by David Paton
typo

Delightful!  I noticed in some of your links you've played with Tom White On occasion.  A new found friend , we've been playing together for contra dances and other stuff.  Quebecois, my first fiddle inspiration, hitch hiking in the Northeast Kingdom.  love to hear some on EC....?

9 hours ago, David Paton said:

Anyone else out there playing Irish music on the English system concertina? I would love to hear from you!

He's not a member here, but if you ever encounter Ken Sweeney there in Connecticut, take a listen. He's great at Irish on English.

Keh

Ken is a long time friend, and was inspired to take up the concertina when we met and played together at a festival in Norfolk, VA. He also restores concertinas, and I am currently playing a Wheatstone that I bought from him!

Here are some Scottish reels that I played on an album with the late Johnny Cunningham. Using the bellows patterns and accenting the back beat really helps get the rhythmic sound that dance music requires. 

Nice to hear an English playing Irish; it does not have to be an anglo. Say hello to Roger from me. As a very young lad, showing much talent, he played for our Rapper side in Yeovil back in the late sixties in the days when I bought a 38 key Jeffries for £25 and sold it to someone in Chingford Morris fo £50. Had I but known!

Dick (Richard) Trickey.

• Like 1