Maker?

mendipman

Can anyone identify the maker of my 20-button anglo concertina? It looks very like a Lachenal to me but I'm aware that these were often copied. If a copy is there a way to identify the copyist maker? I can upload more photos if this helps.

Many thanks

IMG_4001.jpg

IMG_4003.jpg

IMG_4005.jpg

Edited by mendipman

If the hand rests are not stamped then it could be a Tidder (it will have exaggerated, extravagant gussets) or a Nickolds (often 'G' shaped pivot posts in the action box)  A picture of the action box will help identification guesses.

Thanks Greg, there are no makers stamps on the hand rests. Here are a couple of internal photos. There don't appear to be marks or serial numbers here either.

Does this peer inside make identification any easier?

IMG_4560.JPG

IMG_4561.JPG

The inked # stamp is consistent with Tidder instruments.  

I "think" I am seeing the ample gussets in your pics which is also a Tidder trademark.

Unfortunately the heads on shot of the action board and mechanism give no further clues.  (A 45 degree angle shot and closeup might reveal more.)

Not sure if I currently have a Tidder in the herd or project closet.  The corner block bracing on the action board may be a distictive clue.

My experience with nearly a dozen Tidders is that they are of consistent, comparable quality to the mahogany Lachenals.  The only annoying drawback with Tidders is that the outside bellows runs seem to be covered with sheepskin or another softer leather that is not as tough and long wearing as goat.

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

Fretwork is also consistent with Tidder.  It’s a copy of the Lachenal pattern, but hand cut rather than machine cut so has sharper internal angles.

Greg, here are the angled and close-up photos you requested.

I've read about a 19th century concertina maker named Jones in Bristol. This instrument was purchased a few years ago here in the west country around 20 miles from Bristol. That doesn't prove it's origins but I thought it may be useful additional contextual information.

IMG_4564.JPG

IMG_4565.JPG

Edited by mendipman

Yep, that's what I call a "Tidder" alright (and many more people too these days), there's no certainty to their being by William Henry Tidder, and they may welll have been made for him in Germany, but it seems a reasonable attribution.

Most of the Tidder information is contained in these two threads: Help Confirming A Possible Lachenal and Tidder Concertinas, Any One Know Anything About Tidders?

Thank you for all the knowledgeable replies. It's really good to know the origin of my instrument. 

And who'd have thought yesterday, that I'd be so delighted to be diagnosed with baggy gussets! ?

Edited by mendipman

• 3 years later...

Hello, I just inherited a concertino from my father and don't know much about it except that he played it when we were children.  It has a gold logo that is a globe with two eagles, but no other maker information.  I can provide more information and photos but am still figuring about how to use this site!  Thank you!