Any Australian Concertina Repairers?

I have a 55 button Lachenal Duet (Maccann), probably from the 19th centrury (serial number 3679) that needs a tune and service. I live in Melbourne, Australia.

Just wondering where my nearest concertina repairer might be?

I have contacted Chris Ghent, who does not do repairs any more.

He put me onto George Bolliger in Sydney, but I'm not keen to ship by freight my concertina there, unless there are no other options. COVID restrictions are making things tricky in terms of traveling to other Australian states at the moment! But things are slowly easing up, so may not be an issue for much longer, hopefully.

Edited by Peter Garam

I've sent concertinas back and forth to George with Australia Post without problem.  Tracking is pretty good these days, just might take a bit longer with this virus and all the resultant parcel post happening.  George does excellent work.  Don't know anyone in Melbourne, sorry.

Edited by Steve Wilson

Actually Rod, there's only one repairer listed there as far as I can see, and he's retired. Forgotten his name ?

Have faith in Australia Post, Peter. They have never let me down in 40 odd years of shunting concertinas and melodeons around the country and abroad. A stout cardboard box around twice the size of the instrument and well padded out with bubble wrap and/or scrumpled up newspaper will see it safe and sound to its destination I'm sure. If you are sending a case, make sure that there is no movement for the concertina within the case. (Better still, don't send the case unless you need repairs to it.)

George will see you right; I believe he is mainly an English player, but his mentor is Richard Evans, a fine Maccann player and repairer, and though he is retired, I'm sure George can ask for his advice in the unlikely event that he might need it.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, malcolm clapp said:

Actually Rod, there's only one repairer listed there as far as I can see, and he's retired. Forgotten his name ?

Richard Evans is still listed there along with Chris Ghent and your good self, Malcolm.

Sorry, didn't see Richard listed, but he's retired as well. And Chris has stated that he doesn't see himself as a repairer, but a maker who (rarely) has to repair one of his own creations.

Maybe this list is due for an update???

5 hours ago, malcolm clapp said:

Maybe this list is due for an update???

Well if George Bolliger is not listed at all, it would seem so.

If he is reading this,  perhaps Chris Timson will take note.

• 1 month later...

Chris Timson is taking very delayed note, sorry. Dave Barnert drew my attention to it just about the time I had a bad fall and forgot about it again. Sorting it out now.

Chris

Edit: Can anyone help? I'm finding very few details online for George Bolliger apart from a choice of email addresses (which isn't helpful :) ). If anyone has useful contact details for George could they send me a message?

Edited by Chris Timson
  • Like 1

That's done. George has been helpful about the status of a couple of other people mentioned above and I've updated the FAQ appropriately. John, the fall was serious enough to keep me feeling sorry for myself for a couple of weeks but I'm fine now.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...