fettler's bench

My eyes and hands are not compatible with fine work but I always drool over the possibilities of these old treadle machines.  There're always a few for sale around here but seldom this fancy.  They're so common that I wouldn't feel guilty about re-purposing one for a concertina work station.  Any Ideas for uses for the treadle?

00A0A_5epKlPwV60X_600x450.jpg

00R0R_kQzuWScLE57_600x450.jpg

00e0e_9RgLaqKGplU_600x450.jpg

We have an old folding singer table very much like this, only less decorative. All the veneer is peeling off and my mum wants me to have a go at mending it so it can be used again. As for suggestions, maybe it could be used to power a little saw, or a rotary sanding thingy.... you could probably modify the treadle to run a little centrifugal blower for tuning, but that would be rather complicated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Squeezebox Of Delights said:

We have an old folding singer table very much like this, only less decorative. All the veneer is peeling off and my mum wants me to have a go at mending it so it can be used again. As for suggestions, maybe it could be used to power a little saw, or a rotary sanding thingy.... you could probably modify the treadle to run a little centrifugal blower for tuning, but that would be rather complicated.

I agree with the saw idea; depending on the intensity of your work, a foot-powered scroll saw would be useful for cutting fretwork in ends or other small pieces.

• Like 2