Baritone/tenor music question

4 minutes ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

my TT has a very low B (replacing the D#)

I had one of those, which is now in the possession of a Swedish friend.  I preferred to keep the one where all the notes were "where they should be" in the Wheatstone pattern.

7 minutes ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

ad infinitum...

My own "ad infinitum" includes a 56-button bass (i.e., an octave lower than a tenor-treble), and my G-bass that I mentioned to Gary.

My 64-button baritone-treble also goes down to a low F, but without replacing any other notes... and it also has the F#, "in pattern".  But I only ever use that F on a couple of songs that I do with friends.  The folks that I play tunes with -- English, Irish, Swedish, Danish -- tend to play mostly tunes in G and D, and never in a key which would call for a bass F.

1 hour ago, JimLucas said:

Hmm.  Sounds like my own, but mine only goes down to G.  Is your low F where the G# should be, as is often done on trebles?

Actually my Wheatstone bass has a low F where the G# should be.

19 minutes ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

my TT has a very low B (replacing the D#), though a very low Bb would of course be lovely too, and my BT (which transposes to Fmaj) has a very low E replacing the G# (though a very low Eb would be desirable as well), asf. ad infinitum... ?

(BTW, the solder work is all mine...)

I have a TT with Bb in that position - it's useful when building chords in Gm Swedish tunes :)

Edited by SteveS

1 hour ago, SteveS said:

I have a TT with Bb in that position - it's useful when building chords in Gm Swedish tunes :)

Yes, and Gmin is a truly sweet key :) - I'm tempted to diversify but as yet have stuck to the scheme of always having the treble or baritone low F, which is desirable for Gmin tunes as well (where I love to use the Fmaj harmony) on the one hand, and the low B resp. E for the TT and (F) BT (because the low third of the dominant chord is so sweet) on the other, so that I can easily switch between the instruments. However, I would love to have a F# for the trebles or baritone as well, as I like to play in Dmaj - so here I can only follow Jim's suggestion to take up the TT then... (or the F-BT with an A fingering...).

Best wishes - ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 11:37 AM, Wolf Molkentin said:

my TT has a very low B (replacing the D#), though a very low Bb would of course be lovely too

You could have both if you were willing to countenance having and "anglo" button. That's exactly what I do with my Crane duets - have a B/Bb button where the C# would normally be. I use both notes often enough to make it worth having them, but not so often that the anglo action becomes a problem.

11 hours ago, Doug Barr said:

Gary,  Would this new book include Bach Chorales?  How about a separate book?

Doug

When I was in college (1970s) studying music theory we had a book of Bach chorales to study from. It had all the chorales in 2-staff form (S&A in the treble clef, T&B in the bass clef) and no texts, just the music. If that’s what you’re looking for, I’d bet you could still get something like that.

2 minutes ago, David Barnert said:

When I was in college (1970s) studying music theory we had a book of Bach chorales to study from. It had all the chorales in 2-staff form (S&A in the treble clef, T&B in the bass clef) and no texts, just the music. If that’s what you’re looking for, I’d bet you could still get something like that.

Hi David,

I had that book too.  I was just being lazy and hoping someone would put it all into treble clef for different instruments Bass, Baritone and 2 standard C/G concertinas. 

16 hours ago, Little John said:

You could have both if you were willing to countenance having and "anglo" button. That's exactly what I do with my Crane duets - have a B/Bb button where the C# would normally be. I use both notes often enough to make it worth having them, but not so often that the anglo action becomes a problem.

John, I use to muse on that each time I'm taking up soldering, but couldn't bring myself to choosing this solution (and I'm even playing Anglo too) because I'm not prepared to lose the convenience of meaningful bellows changes...

Best wishes - ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
adding character that was missing

7 minutes ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

I use to muse on that each time I'm taking up soldering, but couldn't bring myself to choosing this solution (and I'm even playing Anglo too) because I'm not prepared to lose the convenience of meaningful bellows changes...

There's no need to "lose the convenience of meaningful bellows changes" as you put it. One is unlikely to use both B and Bb in the same phrase (or even tune) so you just have to think ahead slightly and start the phrase in the direction required for the note. It soon becomes almost second nature. No different, really, from closing the bellows of an Anglo prior to a long "pull" phrase or using a non-standard finger for a note because it makes the fingering of the subsequent notes easier.

LJ