Cheap Ebay Anglos

I've seen a few people mention the sticking buttons etc...

So I'm wondering what can be done to improve these instruments.

Someone in a previous thread mentioned depressing the button fully, and keeping it down w/ a match or toothpick, allowing you to very slightly ream out the hole with an exacto knife. I've never done it, but I remember reading a post from someone who had. I hope this points you in the right direction!

Greg

I must have opened up my "chinese lantern" at least every other week for the first 6 months fixing various sticky buttons. In my case, the problem was the levers were not quite right. With some thought I would tweak the levers into a better position. Also, some of the buttons would slip on the levers, so I put a little bit of silicone stuff (my husband found in the garage) to hold them in place better. Some of the cheap rubber that holds the buttons on the levers broke, I just moved them to notes I never play. I actually haven't had to open it up in quite a while.

All in all, I can't wait until my Edgley come in.

Kim

On second thought, the heat from the light bulb might cause the finely crafted paper-cardboard-tape bellows to catch fire.  :D

If you're serious about trying it, use a pendant light fixture hardware and a standard-base bulb for an appliance. They are about a third of the usual bulb's size (keeping the bulb further from the paper) and at about 15 watts wlll take all day to become too hot to touch! If that's still too bright (we're talking mood lighting, now) us a standard-bas chandelier bulb...even smaller profile, and can be had down to 10 watts at any decent grocery or depatment store.

Greg

PS- I run a antiques/vintage lighting business, and this is what I rig up to display vintage shades w/o damaging them.

I must have opened up my "chinese lantern"

A neat expression! Is there room for light inside? :)

You remind me of the "concertina" table lamps that (the fiddle player) Tommy Peoples used to make, once upon a time you would see them all over the place in Co. Clare.

Mind you, shining a light inside a leaky bellows can be a good way to find the holes, I've often done it.

You remind me of the "concertina" table lamps that (the fiddle player) Tommy Peoples used to make, once upon a time you would see them all over the place in Co. Clare.

Last summer in an "antique" shop in Whitby I saw a 1930s piano accordion neatly converted into a coffee table! The bellows were open at one side only to make a fan shape. There was a sheet of clear perspex on the top carefully cut to shape, and legs attaced underneath. It looke a bit like a miniature grand piano. A fitting end I think, and priced at a few hundred pounds.

Theo

On second thought, the heat from the light bulb might cause the finely crafted paper-cardboard-tape bellows to catch fire.  :D

If you're serious about trying it, use a pendant light fixture hardware and a standard-base bulb for an appliance. They are about a third of the usual bulb's size (keeping the bulb further from the paper) and at about 15 watts wlll take all day to become too hot to touch! If that's still too bright (we're talking mood lighting, now) us a standard-bas chandelier bulb...even smaller profile, and can be had down to 10 watts at any decent grocery or depatment store.

And better than that is to use a CFL (Compact Flourescent Light) which can be had in many wattages/light outputs. Any of them produced vastly less heat than incandescent lights do. You can safely wrap your hand around one! The 10W ones put out 40 watt-equivalent incandescent light AND and are smaller than than typical incandescents.