Yet Another Ebay Scam

Stephen Chambers

The latest "bait" of the scammers is the 30-key metal-ended Lachenal that sold for US $3,050.00 on 23rd March, Item number: 7307692964.

It is relisted today as Item number: 7311757768, a three-day sale with an opening bid of £1,000.00, by a "newbie" seller, "User ID kept private", who will only take a personal cheque, or "Other" as means of payment.

I've reported it to eBay.

I received the following email at 12.05 today :

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with this information.

We have thoroughly investigated your report and taken appropriate action

in accordance with our policies.

I can confirm this member is no longer a registered user. Due to privacy

law, I am not able to discuss the details of another members account

further.

I would like to thank you for your help in keeping eBay a fun and safe

place to trade.

Regards,

Ruth Doherty

SafeHarbour Team

So eBay have acted promptly, and will at least say "We have thoroughly investigated your report and taken appropriate action in accordance with our policies. I can confirm this member is no longer a registered user", which is reassuring. However, I don't much like their new reporting system, which only allows you to send them the Item number for the suspect auction, but no details of why you consider it suspect.

You stay at it Stephen!

I was tellin' me dearsest about these ebay scams (she's an ebay addict on the hand spun wools). Her response was, "well we wool people aren't that sort". Neither are we dearest!

Steady on man!

I was tellin' me dearsest about these ebay scams (she's an ebay addict on the hand spun wools).  Her response was, "well we wool people aren't that sort".  Neither are we dearest!

Mark,

Then she might be rather surprised to read Jill's post about eBay auctions of computerised sewing machines :

I've been reading with interest over the last few days and I'm intrigued by the statistics quoted which, to my mind, seem a long way out.  I also watch for computerised sewing machines to buy for the various sewing groups I teach, but have become increasing concerned by the level of scamming on higher priced machines.  Of these machine sales I currently estimate that about 70% are fraudulent sales.  Most are removed before the end of sale but some are not.

Just wait until skeins of wool start selling for $1000 ! ;)

Mark

I don't want to worry you but it's getting closer - there was a handloom offered as a scam recently and antique quilts is now a decided dodgy area. It seems as soon as the selling price goes over four figures then they get interested!

Jill

(just say no kids - you know it makes sense!)