EC upgrade help/ suggestions

All need a bit of help.

a few years ago I got a 48 button Lachenal from Greg Jowaisis. It has been great. But now I am looking to upgrade. Maybe something a bit louder and a bit faster.

i asked BB about an upgrade (as they are local) they said that they are not interested in mine in trade as they currently have too and in stock.

anybody have any suggestions?

fwiw.. I case anybody is interested I have the 48b Lachenal, I Gitane dg32O  and a Studiologic sledge and some cash for a potential trade.

Sean.casler@gmail.com

07452D52-D2F0-4D62-8E7E-351A63300422.jpeg

Follow up question...

Greg J has a few nice pieces. And starting  to get to having the cash to make decision.

the two I am seriously considering is a Wheatstone 21 and a Holmwood ( looks like one that may have changed hands on here). The Holmwood is gorgeous has more buttons and is, by all accounts heavier . 

any strong opinions from the people who know?

Depends  what  you wish to  use it  for Seanc.

The  Wheatstone model  21  will be  bright , quick   and   cheerfull.  Good  for  melody  playing, sessions etc.  Generally the  cheapest  of the  metal ended Wheatstones  they  are  fine instruments.

The  Holmwood ,  will be a  Tennor  Treble  made by  Hamish  Bayne.  You  can find much information  on-line  about  his  creations.  I'd imagine that  this would be better for  song  accompaniment, much  bigger  and  heavier... unless you feel  you need  the  extra  range.....?   I've  never  tried one  but  hopefully  someone will  come along  who  has.

I have been focusing mainly on ITM. I do have an ac Norman Anglo. But the English to me just makes more sense. So, I have been focusing on that. 
I can see mostly ITM as the focus, but I can also see other folk tunes and song accomopanyment as well.  I have not run out of notes on the 48 yet. But I can always see having a few extra notes as a good thing. 

I am ramping up and the Lachenal / ec and I am to the point of noticing that the Norman feels much faster and brighter and louder. And as I work on getting tunes up to speed I seem to be hitting a wall.

In your situation  and  interest  focus I would  suggest  the  Wheatstone  model 21.  I  use  a Model  22    for  session  and  dance band playing  but  for  many  years,  whilst living in Ireland  I  used  a  Model  No.5, which is  the same  as a  21  except it  has  Rosewood  ends.  I  prefered  it  to  an  Aeola  for  session playing  and  it was only  when I  needed    maximum  volume  for  the  current  dance band  I'm in  did  I  search  for  a metal ended  type.

The  technical differences between the 21 and the 22  are  probably  not  as important to  us  as  is  availability  and  price.

Good luck.

I had a Wheatie 21 for many years and it served me very well.  Mostly used it for song accompaniment but it could hold its own when playing along in a rollicking tune session.  One adjustment I made was to slightly reduce the travel of the buttons by placing a second washer on the foot of each.  These I made of leather using a leather hole punch although I think the existing washers were felt.

Definitely leaning towards the 21..

it would be nice to get a bit of Holmwood feedback. That thing is gorgeous!

i have to think that 70 years of technology and manufacturing capabilities would put it (performance wise) on par or overall better than something made during or just after WWI.

I'm an anglo player and thus really just a beginner-level player on EC, but I tried a Holmwood years ago and it was clearly a very nice instrument and seemed quite responsive (not that I could give it a workout).

Ken

Ken,

I am really a beginner as well. And on everything I play ( primarily bass) I always consider myself to be a student. I am constantly trying to learn and get better. Even though I may be reasonably competent, I am always trying to be better. Try different stuff and expand the ability and vocabulary.

i have found that two things tend to inspire me to are performance and quality. An instrument that performs well ( presumably Wheatstone) allows and encourages you to rise to its potential. And a work of art can inspire practice for the satisfaction of playing a work of art. In rare occasions you get both and it can really inspire practice as well as push your own abilities. 

the Wheatstone is the safe and rational choice and Holmwood could be the wow factor inspiring one. And that one that you look back as “ the one that got away”

So, I am conflicted.

I can see that your concertina is rosewood ended, that will take some of the brightness out of the tone, I don't see any baffles, the big question is the reed tongue material, steel or brass.  If steel, and you want more brightness and  "cut'' to the tone then you are looking at a metal ended instrument, if it is absolute volume,then you are looking at a long series steel reeded instrument, like an Edeophone or an Aeola, assuming you want a traditional instrument, not a modern reproduction instrument. Again metal ends will help. 

ITM is not a term I have heard here in sunny Yorkshire, I am guessing Irish Traditional Music? Hence a assume session play? A steel reeded instrument would be effectively mandatory, and metal ends a great help. I would check with Greg, A good bloke, very knowledgeable, he might know of your instrument's reed type, if you do not. The build standard evident from the picture is for a better grade of instrument, but it may still have brass reeds. 

D.

Steel reeds.

thanks that is useful. And pretty much confirms the majority of info that the Wheatstone is a strong, well accepted solution. And probably the route I will end up taking.

As this will all go through Greg I will ask him to send me some clips of each, as soon as I get some guns or guitars sold to finalize the funds.