considerations about learning new system

24 minutes ago, mike_s said:

Not sure what "retreat" you're planning to attend, but a lady had a Rochelle at the Noel Hill School last summer and she had a difficult time with it.  I think the Minstrel will work well for you.  Two years ago at the same school, one person had one and it seemed to be fine.  Noel pretty much teaches cross row and takes exception  to those who play along the rows in the class.  So, if you plan to attend one of his classes you may want to practice that.  Good luck with the switch over!!!

I'll be much closer to home (Texas) - the O'Flaherty's irish music retreat is held in Midlothian, Tx which is a little town south of Dallas.  I saw the Noel Hill camps are still listed as going ahead for 2020. I'd like to get to one of those one day.  Perhaps next year.

Yes and I agree cross rows is key. Thanks for the good wishes.

I am surprised at the comments about reeds coming adrift when shipping to the US from Europe, if the reeds are correctly secured, part of a basic service, and the concertina is properly packed for the journey, then the only worries should be  costs (shipping and insurance), and US customs -Cites Legislation. I ship concertinas around, without reed falling out issues.

I think "reeds coming adrift when shipping to the US from Europe" doesn't always happen. But when it does, it can make the buyer to think they didn't get the quality they expect. Chris (Barleycorn) expressed concern about shipping a concertina to the US, and asked me if I would be willing to correct the possible problem (myself with his help from afar). He didn't say he wouldn't ship to the US.

I think his concern is justified. Say a concertina has been sitting on a shelf amid the humidity of the summer in England. And now it is shipped to a dry climate as in California. There is a good chance that some of the reeds may come loose. It's an easy fix. But it doesn't give a good impression, especially if the buyer doesn't want to or doesn't know how to open up the "new" instrument.

I didn't buy from Chris because the concertina I was interested in had been sold, not because of Chris' concern.

I once had an almost new accordion shipped to me from Boston, from a professional accordionist/teacher. The accordion was packed very carefully. But it took me 30 min to fix a bass key getting stuck open during transit. I was pretty handy (my other hobby is furniture making, and I have access to a full workshop), but for other people, that might require a trip to an accordion shop. That is, if one was available in the area.

Edited by pentaprism
  • Like 1