I'm Back!

I just stopped by to say hello again...my pc died a miserable, grinding-sound death and had to be replaced, so I've been incommunicado for a bit. MANY thanks to all the kind souls who have offered to start me down the path of concertina righteousness. Stop in Indianapolis and I'll buy you a pint!

I've sold the old pc to a neighbor who thinks he can build a server out of it, AND sold my old saxaphone, and was able to scrap enough cash together to order a jackie. Based on conversations with other jackie owners as well as Mr. Wakker himself, I feel confident that I made a good choice. Who knows...perhaps an Anglo in a year or two...or sooner?

Are concertinas as addictive as tattoos? judging from this group's emails it would seem so!

Greg

Greg

It's nice that you are back and much nicer that you came out of this with the decission to buy a Jackie (although I only play Anglo).

Who knows...perhaps an Anglo in a year or two...or sooner?

You certainly should try one, but first enjoy your Jackie!

Are concertinas as addictive as tattoos?  judging from this group's emails it would seem so!

Can't judge about tattoos, 'cos I do'nt have one (and never will), but after you are used to them, concertina's are more than addictive, they become a must, just like breathing!

Tattoos and concertinas....sounds like a match to me. Perfect title for a CD of Sea Chantys.

My uncle 'Chink' was a Chief Pettie Officer in the Navy (30 year man) and had this very impressive tattoo of the battleship Alabama under full steam with guns blazing. Chink had plenty of room for waves on this equally impressive belly. We don't even need to go into the arms and back. :blink:

Now if I got my Albion tattooed on my equally impressive belly, each time I took a deep breath to sing the bellows would open. Man o man! He's got it by Jove!

Time for a catscan!

Edited by Mark Evans

Now Mark if you you breath in and out with the bellows action and your tattoo moved in time with your playing,well that would really be impressive.Add a bit of vibrato and you have got yourself a winner.

In fact it would be worth coming over just to see that.

Cool man B)

Al :)

are tattoos as addictive as concertains?

If concertinas are more addictive than tattoos, I am indeed in deep trouble! My wife (herself untattooed) is already asking if I've planned out the next one! (#3)

If they are as addictive as motorcycles, I'll soon to be divorced!! (no more room in the garage as things already are!)

I had the Jackie set up with a neckstrap, so I can experiment with playing position, etc. as there seemsto be no "right" way to play one!

I found a dove grey pearloid Piano Accordian today in an antique mall for $70...it looked to be quite playable and very good condition overall...but I resisted temptation! I heard this deep voice in my head; "Greg...come to the Dark Side..."

I hope concertinas aren't a "gateway instrument"...

Greg, I hate to inform you...but you have already joined the Dark Side (breathing sounds of Darth Vader in the background) by ordering an EC. It is only a short slide to a PA and yes for some the concertina is a gateway instrument.

Since re-aquiring a concertina I have collected a double bass, bodhran and low D whistle. The guitar and the very angry banjo were already here along with a totally bewildered piano. Have mercy on your soul :( . Now where did I put that felt tip pen. You know drawing a concertina on one's belly as you look in the bathroom mirror is not as easy as one might assume. The single malt has not helped.

Edited by Mark Evans

are tattoos as addictive as concertains?

I hope concertinas aren't a "gateway instrument"...

Tis the gateway to heaven :)

As for the tattoos I found an easy remedy, find the worst tattooist you can and get something large and ugly done, make sure it gets infected so the ink ends up looking patchy. After one of those you are semi-cured. Using all your money on musical instruments and acquiring children is the other half of the cure.

Not one to do things by halves I combined the two and just bought my son a violin.

As for the tattoos I found an easy remedy, find the worst tattooist you can and get something large and ugly done, make sure it gets infected so the ink ends up looking patchy. After one of those you are semi-cured. Using all your money on musical instruments and acquiring children is the other half of the cure.

Okay - this cure seems a little extreme to me....I'm not sure children are a cure for tattoos though; my father-in-law just got a large maple leaf on his bicep surrounded by the phrase "MADE IN CANADA" :D