New To "concertinas"

I've been a failure at wind & string instruments. So here I am thinking, maybe just maybe, that the "Concertina" might play into my hands. (kind of) I'm no youngster, age 70, still have most of my hair, larger then in high school & fat fingers. I Think I would like to give the "Concertina" a try. Need your suggestions; Best type to start with? Do I need an instructor or is there a good DVD?? Where is the best place to find bargains???(USA) I live in the San Diego area of California.

[snip] ... Need your suggestions; Best type to start with? Do I need an instructor or is there a good DVD?? Where is the best place to find bargains???(USA)  I live in the San Diego area of California.

This thread would probably be a good place to start, as many of the questions you pose are addressed here.

Good luck and welcome to concertina.net!

Samantha

If Jim Swope is still active up in Long Beach, he used to know a lot of players around So. Calif. I even met half a dozen at his house once. If you search on his name here on the forum and in the "old" part of concertina.net you may be able to email him.

I expect some other Calif players will chime in here.

[snip] ... Need your suggestions; Best type to start with? Do I need an instructor or is there a good DVD?? Where is the best place to find bargains???(USA)  I live in the San Diego area of California.

This thread would probably be a good place to start, as many of the questions you pose are addressed here.

Good luck and welcome to concertina.net!

Samantha

Thanks for you input..

If Jim Swope is still active up in Long Beach, he used to know a lot of players around So. Calif.  I even met half a dozen at his house once.  If you search on his name here on the forum and in the "old" part of concertina.net you may be able to email him.

I expect some other Calif players will chime in here.

Thanks for the info about Jim Swope. Sent him an email just a few minutes ago.

Need your suggestions; Best type to start with?
The best type to start with depends a lot about what you want to do with it. Classical? Oldies? Traditional dance tunes? "Folk" songs...? The different types of concertinas tend to lend themselves easier toward different types of music.

Also - what would YOU like to get out of playing concertina? What about the box might "ring your chimes"? That may be a hard one to answer, particularly when just getting into something new like this - but it just might be a the most important issue!

For instance, for me - there's something about the "sound" of concertinas (as opposed to accordions, harmonicas and other free-reed instruments) that I just *really* find enthralling. Sure, tunes can be played on pretty much any instrument, but it's the way they sound on a concertina - be they dirges and slow airs to jigs and reels to Chopin and Vivaldi. Simple to sophisticated. Velvet to vociferous!

Also - and not to be belittled - is the ease of which such can be elicited.... Whatever you aspire to (that personal "gut-reward" and/or the "music") will be extremely difficult to attain on a poor instrument. Life is short. Ask questions, check around - and go for the best box you can afford.

There is a huge difference in the sound and playability between the factory-made ones (Chinese, Italian, German, etc.) and the "hybrids"... and the step up from there to the vintage ones may be significant to substantial (great if you can afford it initially!) - though that choice might better be made once you have an appreciation and understanding of concertinas and what it is you seek.

Do I need an instructor or is there a good DVD??
Not necessarily an instructor, but being with players now and again is a Very Good Thing. There are many decent books, fewer CD's and precious few DVD's. Most tend to be extremely specific and may not suit your needs.

Where is the best place to find bargains???(USA)
Concertina bargains are very hard to come by. I should know as we deal in concertinas a lot. About the only place we get them undervalued is at estate sales and some local auctions - and they always need a lot of work. Beware of getting concertinas from eBay as a deal there is now very hard to come by (but not impossible!) and getting burned is easy.

Need your suggestions; Best type to start with?
The best type to start with depends a lot about what you want to do with it. Classical? Oldies? Traditional dance tunes? "Folk" songs...? The different types of concertinas tend to lend themselves easier toward different types of music.

Also - what would YOU like to get out of playing concertina? What about the box might "ring your chimes"? That may be a hard one to answer, particularly when just getting into something new like this - but it just might be a the most important issue!

For instance, for me - there's something about the "sound" of concertinas (as opposed to accordions, harmonicas and other free-reed instruments) that I just *really* find enthralling. Sure, tunes can be played on pretty much any instrument, but it's the way they sound on a concertina - be they dirges and slow airs to jigs and reels to Chopin and Vivaldi. Simple to sophisticated. Velvet to vociferous!

Also - and not to be belittled - is the ease of which such can be elicited.... Whatever you aspire to (that personal "gut-reward" and/or the "music") will be extremely difficult to attain on a poor instrument. Life is short. Ask questions, check around - and go for the best box you can afford.

There is a huge difference in the sound and playability between the factory-made ones (Chinese, Italian, German, etc.) and the "hybrids"... and the step up from there to the vintage ones may be significant to substantial (great if you can afford it initially!) - though that choice might better be made once you have an appreciation and understanding of concertinas and what it is you seek.

Do I need an instructor or is there a good DVD??
Not necessarily an instructor, but being with players now and again is a Very Good Thing. There are many decent books, fewer CD's and precious few DVD's. Most tend to be extremely specific and may not suit your needs.

Where is the best place to find bargains???(USA)
Concertina bargains are very hard to come by. I should know as we deal in concertinas a lot. About the only place we get them undervalued is at estate sales and some local auctions - and they always need a lot of work. Beware of getting concertinas from eBay as a deal there is now very hard to come by (but not impossible!) and getting burned is easy.

Thank you for your insightful response. I probable like Folk or Celtic type music the best. Although Classical and oldies would be ok also. Trying to do some research on the subject of Concertinas and have been reading about the different types. (English, Anglo and Duet) Which if any are easier to learn to play? I'm kind of intrigued by the "Duet".

quote of Richard Morse: The best type to start with depends a lot about what you want to do with it. Also - what would YOU like to get out of playing concertina?

- - - - - -

I like Richard's response; learning to play the concertina is more of a journey than a destination, and tunes are but the mile markers on that journey.

I say 'select a tune to learn.' Then go after that one tune.

If you ask 'but which tune to learn?' Start with a tune that has always made you tap your toes, even an old tune from your childhood.

You will probably find yourself learning other tunes on the way to mastery of that tune, just because of distractions, etc. That is where the 'journey versus destination' aspect comes to your aid.

The best part is that it really is fun. Set your expectations on p-r-o-g-r-e-s-s, and NOT on p-e-r-f-e-c-t-i-o-n.

Del

quote of Richard Morse:  The best type to start with depends a lot about what you want to do with it.  Also - what would YOU like to get out of playing concertina?

- - - - - -

I like Richard's response; learning to play the concertina is more of a journey than a destination, and tunes are but the mile markers on that journey.

I say 'select a tune to learn.'  Then go after that one tune. 

If you ask 'but which tune to learn?'  Start with a tune that has always made you tap your toes, even an old tune from your childhood.

You will probably find yourself learning other tunes on the way to mastery of that tune, just because of distractions, etc.  That is where the 'journey versus destination' aspect comes to your aid.

The best part is that it really is fun.  Set your expectations on p-r-o-g-r-e-s-s, and NOT on p-e-r-f-e-c-t-i-o-n.

Thanks !!

Del

Kindofinterested: You have received excellent advice, and I will add mine only so that you have the perspective of a "senior." I started 18 months ago just short of my 64th birthday, and I haven't stopped since. Richard Morse is right. You should get a decent instrument to try. If money is a consideration, rent so you will be able to make a good choice later. I chose an anglo. I like it, and I am not qualified to talk about other systems. I do think the anglo is intuitive--especially for the Irish keys of G & D, and related minor modes. I spent 8 months on a Stagi before going to a hybrid (Edgley). The Edgley made a huge difference.

For Irish, the Edgley turor (with CD) is excellent. The Vallelly instruction disk is also good.

I try to attend some of the slow sessions in Boston, and learn a new tune or two each time. I also use a mni-disk to record them, and to play back for practice. In addition I buy CD's and play them a slower tempo till I learn them well. I gradually increase the tempo, often starting at 50%. I find that is very helpful. I use the Comhaltas CD that goes with the Seisiun Book of over 100 tunes. But you can do the same thing with Frank Edgley's tutor and CD.

You will be frustrated. You will be elated. So don't let the frustration take control of you. You can practice a difficult passage many times with unsatisfactory results, then the next day it may all fall together. Sometimes your fingers won't want to follow directions. Stop and come back later when that happens. Practice with a purpose, and with a realistic goal. Try to get the tune in your head before or when you learn it. Have fun. Good Luck, Alan Miller

Edited by Alan Miller

Kindofinterested:  You have received excellent advice, and I will add mine only so that you have the perspective of a "senior."  I started 18 months ago just short of my 64th birthday, and I haven't stopped since.  Richard Morse is right.  You should get a decent instrument to try.  If money is a consideration, rent so you will be able to make a good choice later.  I chose an anglo.  I like it, and I am not qualified to talk about other systems.  I do think the anglo is intuitive--especially for the Irish keys of G & D, and related minor modes.  I spent 8 months on a Stagi before going to a hybrid (Edgley).  The Edgley made a huge difference.

For Irish, the Edgley turor (with CD) is excellent.  The Vallelly instruction disk is also good. 

I try to attend some of the slow sessions in Boston, and learn a new tune or two each time.  I also use a mni-disk to record them, and to play back for practice.  In addition I buy CD's and play them a slower tempo till I learn them well.  I gradually increase the tempo, often starting at 50%.  I find that is very helpful.  I use the Comhaltas CD that goes with the Seisiun Book of over 100 tunes.  But you can do the same thing with Frank Edgley's tutor and CD.

You will be frustrated.  You will be elated.  So don't let the frustration take control of you.  You can practice a difficult passage many times with unsatisfactory results, then the next day it may all fall together.  Sometimes your fingers won't want to follow directions.  Stop and come back later when that happens.  Practice with a purpose, and with a realistic goal.  Try to get the tune in your head before or when you learn it.  Have fun.  Good Luck, Alan Miller

Alan,

Thank you for your perspective. I think renting is the way to go at this time.

All you out there have been very helpful.

Thanks again!!!

Larry

Don't worry about age, my mother started playing the concertina when she was well into her eighties. At one concertina gathering in England that we went to an American concertina player was amazed at the age range of players from teens upwards. He said to me in the queue while waiting for lunch - "you won't believe it I've just met a woman playing the concertina who is 90 !". I merely replyed "Yes I know she is my mother". She was still playing the concertina until just before her death at 95; it kept her mind active and the concertina days and weekends out always gave her something nice to look forward to. So I wish you at least 25 years of happy playing.

If you are into folk or traditional music the very best book I can recommend for starters is "Easy Peasy Tunes" which you can probably get in the States from Button box. All you need to go with it is a keyboard diagram for whichever type of concertina that you decide to buy; my mother chose a 46 button Hayden Duet.

This book has a very good selection of 100 tunes confined to only 14 melody buttons and 8 accompanying chords. Popular tunes from America, Australia, England, Ireland and Scotland are included; many you will already know, and if you don't there is a record of all the tunes to go with it as well.

Inventor.

You mentioned wanting to play classical music. For that, I recommend getting an english concertina. It's chromatic (can play in any key) and very versatile, and can play any classical piece you throw at it. An anglo concertina won't give you that freedom. The learning curve on an english is probably steeper than on an anglo however.

Good luck deciding.

The learning curve on an english is probably steeper than on an anglo however.

Well, now that depends. Some people find the anglo much more intuitive. Others find the English so. I'm in the latter group. I may not be very good yet, but that's more a matter of (lack of) musical ability. The instrument itself is very easy to play, at least for my brain.

:)

Steven

Don't worry about age, my mother started playing the concertina when she was well into her eighties.  At one concertina gathering in England that we went to an American concertina player  was amazed at the age range of players from teens upwards.  He said to me in the queue while waiting for lunch - "you won't believe it I've just met a woman playing the concertina who is 90 !".  I merely replyed "Yes I know she is my mother".  She was still playing the concertina until just before her death at 95; it kept her mind active and the concertina days and weekends out always gave her something nice to look forward to.  So I wish you at least 25 years of happy playing. 

If you are into folk or traditional music the very best book I can recommend for starters is "Easy Peasy Tunes"  which you can probably get in the States from Button box.  All you need to go with it is a keyboard diagram for whichever type of concertina that you decide to buy; my mother chose a 46 button Hayden Duet.

This book has a very good selection of 100 tunes confined to only 14 melody buttons and 8 accompanying chords.  Popular tunes from America, Australia, England, Ireland and Scotland are included; many you will already know, and if you don't there is a record of all the tunes to go with it as well.

Inventor.

Very sweet story !!!!  Thanks for input .

Larry(kindofintrested)

You mentioned wanting to play classical music.  For that, I recommend getting an english concertina.  It's chromatic (can play in any key) and very versatile, and can play any classical piece you throw at it.  An anglo concertina won't give you that freedom...

If by "any classical piece" you mean any classical melody, this is certainly true. It can play pretty much anything a violin can play. But much of classical music is more complicated than that. I play classical piano music on a duet concertina (any sort will do, I use a Hayden).

You mentioned wanting to play classical music.  For that, I recommend getting an english concertina.  It's chromatic (can play in any key) and very versatile, and can play any classical piece you throw at it.  An anglo concertina won't give you that freedom...

If by "any classical piece" you mean any classical melody, this is certainly true. It can play pretty much anything a violin can play. But much of classical music is more complicated than that. I play classical piano music on a duet concertina (any sort will do, I use a Hayden).

Thanks

Larry