Sign in to follow this  
LateToTheGame

Pelican like case for small concertinas easy latches

A recent discussion on the buy and sell page regarding the latches on pelican cases leads me to share a case  identical  to the one my small  Dipper came in a couple of years ago.   I assume they are available beyond the US, but I bought one one Ebay US for another small concertina.

The listing reads 10" Deep Waterproof Case Box 4 GoPro Camera Gun w/ Pelican Style foam.   The Dippers did not use the foam,  but lined the box  to fit the concertina exactly.   But you could likely use the foam too.

I don't know if the box comes in other sizes, but the latches are faced front and very easy to open and close.  Since I play more than one instrument in a session I leave it on the floor at my feet, take the concertina out of the latched case quickly and pop it back in a latch it up easily.     

• Like 1

I'v e just taken a look. It does look promising, except that shipping to the UK (or presumably anywhere in Europe) and the estimated import charge (presumably VAT) between them more than double the price.

On 4/16/2020 at 5:16 PM, Richard Mellish said:

I'v e just taken a look. It does look promising, except that shipping to the UK (or presumably anywhere in Europe) and the estimated import charge (presumably VAT) between them more than double the price.

I'd contact the Dippers and ask where they get theirs.   There may be a UK source.  

12 hours ago, LateToTheGame said:

I'd contact the Dippers and ask where they get theirs.   There may be a UK source.  

Maybe the Dippers are the UK source...

Otherwise, I see that post and packing are free to an address in the United States, so people could get them sent to friends there for forwarding, or there are various forwarding services available. That's what I do, instead of paying exorbitant eBay/sellers prices.

I have no affiliation with the seller, not seen the product in person, caveat emptor etc. but it looks a lot like the AX55024 product on here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32949641226.html

They currently have it listed at $39.01 with free shipping to the UK. There is a chance you will be hit with import VAT and a handling fee though.

Can anybody offer an informed opinion as to whether it’s a good idea to store a concertina in an airtight case for long periods of time?

4 hours ago, David Barnert said:

Can anybody offer an informed opinion as to whether it’s a good idea to store a concertina in an airtight case for long periods of time?

Define a long period of time...  My Dipper came in its box in 2017 if I remember correctly, and it has lived there ever since.    This type of box has only been around for 4 or 5 years give or take, so the jury may be out on that. 

I guess if I were concerned regarding humidity  I could put a hydrometer in there to check.   If I were in, say, in a rain forest, putting it in there would perhaps require some drying agent since the air I'd close in with the concertina would be pretty humid.  I do know of someone who planned to take a concertina to sea in a small sailing vessel.  It could be an issue there.

Likewise if I were in a desert humidification might be required. 

I do live in the midwestern US where humidity fluctuates pretty wildly from summer to winter, but my house is humidified in winter and air conditioned in summer so things are pretty even.

On 4/18/2020 at 8:25 PM, LateToTheGame said:

Define a long period of time...

All the time when I’m not playing it. I bought my case a couple of years ago and I haven’t noticed any problems, but I always wonder whether concertinas crave a little fresh air exchange.