Are There Piano Accordion Forums?

;) I AM NOT DEFECTING. I've even got Concertina.net on my toolbar and come here every day. Some times more than once a day. I'll probably be forced into some kind of 12 step forum er group because of my concertina addic... no, I am sooo tired of that word.

Anyway, I love this forum. I would just like to ALSO scan some stuff about piano accordions. I played one as a very young child and have taken it up again. I LOVE it.

I have found some places on the internet, but you guys know everything and would know where the good sites are.

Also anything good about piano accordions besides forums. DON'T YOU DARE SAY THERE IS NOTHING GOOD ABOUT PIANO ACCORDIONS!

Thanks thanks thanks

Helen

Also anything good about piano accordions besides forums.  DON'T YOU DARE SAY THERE IS NOTHING GOOD ABOUT PIANO ACCORDIONS!

Thanks thanks thanks

Helen

I play / have a piano accordion. (I am used to all the jokes...)

When I first got back to it after years of not even thinking about one, I got a subscription to CAPA Times...um, the URL is...have to do a web search, for now, don't have it....

There's a lot to be found at Henry Doktorski's site...find the webrings section, if it's still there, and that'll get you a lot of links. http://henrydoktorski.com

There are a few other good spots but I have to look them up.

I've never found a forum for the piano accordion. There is/was a Yahoo group for a while, but it didn't seem to suit me, anyway.

I'll post again later...

back...

yes, the first page you get at Henry's site has severay webrings at the bottom, one which is an accordion webring.

Edited by bellowbelle

I would start at rec.music.makers.squeezebox
David,

I seem to be getting just concertinas at that site. Probably doing something wrong.

According to my newsreader, these are the topics of threads posted on in the last two weeks. Some are concertina related, some are accordion related, some are, well, not.

A question about using a keyboard as a external midi

Ad: for sale 40 key metal end Wheatstone Anglo

Alex Music

Alfa Diatonic Accordions

Callewaert belgium

Changing Bandoneon Sound (L/M) to Musette (M/M)

Chords to "I Love Lucy"?

Ciao Ventura's Tation/Master Review

Devon Anal 5615

Diatonic

DO NOT OPEN these "patch" posts (they are all about

East Coast Repair/Purchase

F. Marocco/New movie

Fall Accordion Festivals

for listening

for sale: Irish Castagnari DinnIII B/C

G. Galeazzi & Sons Accordion?

Gateway back bidirectional.

Gateway status (was: reedless accordion review)

Jason Webley with Mark Growden in Oakland on Oct. 2

Jolly Caballero

Klezmer Freilach

Le Squeezebox

midi concertina

MIDI for English Concertina?

MIDI for Reedless English Concertina?

New English Concertina Tutor

Northeast Squeeze In

Nude Neighbour Tanning

Old restoredf Bednarz Polka Accordion on Ebay

One-row melodeons

Orla and Petosa Reedless Accordions

Pics of Asian Teens Tortured 8525

Pope Repeals Ban on the Accordion

Prove these critical patch that came from M$

Reed Tuning Table on Ebay

Reeds Repair Compound?

SF Bay Area Accordions in the News

Sharing Accordion Sheet Music

Software to help learn new tunes

squeaking button

Stradovox Stereo Classic

straps for button box

Testeo de News

The "Squeeze Box King", Flaco Jimenez is back with a

trade midi files

Use the security package-VIRUS VIRUS VIRUS

Vintage Excelsior Accordion Amp

Weltmeister Irish-tuned boxes

What have I got?

Where can I find a top quality, but small PA ?

DON'T YOU DARE SAY THERE IS NOTHING GOOD ABOUT PIANO ACCORDIONS!

Helen,

A well constructed instrument cannot be bad or wrong. It is what you use it for what matters! I guess a piano accordion could serve me as a nice seat when I play my concertina :D

To be serious: It all about people. Being a rather small group of people, playing the same type off "strange" instrument glues us much stronger together than the huge group of accordeon players. I guess that's why it is difficult to find a forum with the same quality as this one.

Henk

(David Barnert @ Oct 1 2003, 11:26 PM)
(David Barnert @ Oct 1 2003, 05:48 PM)

I would start at rec.music.makers.squeezebox

(Helen @ Oct 1 2003, 08:25 PM)

I seem to be getting just concertinas at that site. Probably doing something wrong.

According to my newsreader, these are the topics of threads posted on in the last two weeks. ...

Hmm. I had pretty much abandoned RMMS, because of the lack of concertina content since so many of the participants had "defected" to concertina.net. Looks like there's still/again some concertina activity there, so I'd better go check it out, again.

But certainly it's still more about accordions than concertinas, with a variety of subject matter. They regularly have folks requesting -- and providing -- chords and even full arrangements for particular tunes/songs, discussions of different accordion-based traditions, discussions of playing techniques -- including the differences between different accordion systems (PA, CBA B- and C- systems, different kinds of "diationic" accordions), -- technical discussions of accordion construction and repair, and just identifying and evaluating different makes and models. A lot lilke what we do here with regard to concertinas.

One thing is that as a newsgroup it's thread-based, rather than having the forum-and-topic organization of this site. I don't find that a problem... in fact (as I've said elsewhere :)), I prefer it.

I guess a piano accordion could serve me as a nice seat when I play my concertina

I've been know to take my contrabass English concertina on the train just to insure myself a seat. Upended in the aisle, its solid mahogany case works admirably.

To be serious: It all about people. Being a rather small group of people, playing the same type off "strange" instrument glues us much stronger together than the huge group of accordeon players. I guess that's why it is difficult to find a forum with the same quality as this one.

Two other possible reasons: 1) None of the accordion junkies has yet been motivated to start such a forum, or they don't know that the necessary software is readily available. 2) With a much larger population of players, a forum like this could easily become unmanageable for the users. Imagine what concertina.net would be like with 10 times as many topics and/or posts.

With a much larger population of players, a forum like this could easily become unmanageable for the users.  Imagine what concertina.net would be like with 10 times as many topics and/or posts.

Jim

I also visit the Private Pilots Romour Network which runs on the same software as this forum. It currently has over fifty fourums and when I just visited it 500+ people online.

So its possible :)

<name drop mode>

I would also add something rude about piano accordions but I was at a friend's party at the weekend and I met Karen Tweed who is a sublime accordionist who showed what the accordion is capable of (not just Spanish Ladies (accordion joke)).

</name drop mode>

...showed what the accordion is capable of (not just Spanish Ladies (accordion joke)).

Hmm. Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, but maybe we should teach the PA crowd that old forebitter, "Farewell and Adieu to You, Spanish Ladies". :)

Remember the old bumper sticker: "Accordions don't play 'Lady of Spain.' People do."

While I think I would agree, there are some accordion players in RMMS who seem to think that playing LoS disqualifies someone as a "person". :o

Okay guys, I knew I would get good natured accordion jokes.

I need the exact web site for rec.music. I had to go in from a web search and I only got the concertina fact part, not the threads. I know I stumbled upon it once before. Putting in what David had was not enough.

I'm off to try Wendy's site. Okay, that is a geographic off, not a mental status report.

Jim, just how big is your concertina case? Or are you a contortionist?

Bellowing on,

Helen

Edited by Helen

:P One last post, something amusing I recently put in my private online diary:

(an excerpt from a thematic entry on 'turning points')

1) Turning Point 1:

At the age of fifteen years, I sold my second-hand accordion for seventy-five dollars and I bought a guitar. Why? Because (as you know) the accordion is just not COOL.

More guys were more interested in me. I could captivate an audience. I could sing out freely while picking or strumming, and I could let my long, alluring hair drape down over my guitar.

2) Turning Point 2:

At the age of thirty-five-or-something years, one day I conveniently forgot where I set the guitar, and I bought a second-hand accordion. Why? Because (as you know) the accordion is just not COOL.

More guys are less interested in me; I can finally play a song MY way. I can easily dispel the crowd, when I need more space. I have an alibi for my 'needs-work' singing voice, should my parakeets ever ask about that one (...kinda difficult to sing, while playing an accordion).

And, if I've put my hair back in a little-old-lady bun because I'm having a 'bad hair' day, I can simply say that it bothers me when my hair gets stuck in the accordion bellows.

And, have you ever heard the Too Fat Polka? ('I don't want her, you can have her, she's too fat for me...') Finally, a song about me...