Melodica

14 minutes ago, Mikefule said:

Not a concertina, but with obvious family links.  I stumbled across this short video on You Tube.  What a beautiful instrument.

Is that a 3-d printed instrument?

Here is Edward Jay playing his 3-d printed EC. See earlier threads here and here

Edited by lachenal74693

The instrument is a B system accordina that Edward Jay has ingeniously constructed so as to be able to play with two hands. Here are two links to performances on "traditionally" built accordinas (C system).

Julien Labro playing Oblivion by Astor Piazzolla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsCqgJ5-VsY

Richard Galliano playing Menuet & Badinerie by J. S. Bach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKGiDYlIQ6k

What a great little instrument!  

One can find other nice play on melodica world.com

Mr. Jay is one of the inspirations I had last fall for putting together a a couple of “Janko” melodicas.   Here is a picture of prototype.  With Edward Jay’s coming in as “sublime” the Colpitts versions are anything but, but are “play any key with the same fingering per tune” legitimate.  If I can ever figure out posting a sound sample....

9D24BBE3-A8D5-4E65-A420-977513583B7A.thumb.jpeg.90a9a135596fa88c3e33393806b1ae70.jpeg

Edited by David Colpitts
Typos and content

I saw a previous version of Eddy's accordina.  It had 3D printed mechanism and a CNC milled walnut case.   I expect this one will have been built in a similar fashion.

Melodicas are fascinating indeed, especially when played with two hands, the japanese way! Two hands playing seems less common with accordinas though.

I find such performances almost depressing from a concertina playing point of view :

Few concertina videos / arrangements out there sound as good and full as these, yet melodicas are available for 100€ while one will have to pay ten times that price to get a not that good concertina with less range.

Glad to see these 3D printed concertinas appearing though! Hope it will make getting an ok instrument for a not too high price much easier in the future.

• Like 2