Joining Bossa Nova in Rome on JamKazam

I just had a great time jamming with Paolo on Jam Kazam. Never met him before, but we hooked up nicely and played together for over an hour tonight. He lives in Rome, Italy and plays guitar for dancers at clubs there that enjoy Brazilian Bossa Nova... so already he was a soul mate. Musicians that play for dancers... they have a certain bond, a certain shared understanding.

He played and sang with authority and I joined him for a wild ride of busking along to popular Bossa songs from the 50's that I had never heard before. Such fun!

Aside from perfect English and Italian, he claims to speak Portuguese and some Spanish.  It was so refreshing to play with Paolo. What a nice guy, The cultural triangle of Brazil, Rome and NYC was quite stimulating, to say the least! Earlier this evening I had joined and then un-joined several random JK sessions. They were playing Pop and Rock and while I can enjoy playing in those genres, the music that was going down was not really happening for me on concertina. So many difficulties like: wrong key, modulations, never heard that song before, weird stuff, folks trying to play songs they really did not know, technical problems etc...

On JK, if you surf the sessions, you take what you get... and I ended up getting a great duo session with my new friend Paolo, Brazilian musician in Rome. So worth it.

Edited by Jody Kruskal

Thanks Jody for bringing JamKazam to the attention of CNet.

I've been looking for a suitable medium for setting up practice sessions with my favourite musos.  I'll take a look at JamKazam.

It seems though that the JamBlaster accessory is required to play.

No, you don’t necessarily need the JamBlaster. If your built-in audio system is sufficiently low latency it will work, or you can use probably any external USB audio interface.  I’ve been having sessions successfully with several players on JamKazam and none of us have a JamBlaster.

I believe that the little Zoom hand-held recorders can also double as a combination microphone and USB audio interface so if you have one of these then maybe it could be used to reduce latency without having to buy additional hardware.  Some models also have an auxillary mike input socket.

Edited by Don Taylor