Sign in to follow this  
nkgibbs

A STRANGE LITTLE 26b ANGLO

Dear C.netters,

I recently bought this strange little beast.

Despite being pretty well built, having full bone buttons and a metal action,  I don't think that it is English. This is supported by the reed blocks  and the very odd reed chamber set up.

"German", I hear you cry but the pencil marks on the Left and Right ends are 8 B (?) and 8 G respectively. G for left hints French but the B on the right, unless I am misreading it, doesn't. The action pivots also look as if they have been lifted from a Nickolds.

I would be very interested to hear if anyone has come across a concertina like this before.

Thanks,

Neil

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 18.30.52.png

I've got one the same, and initially thought of Nickolds too, but the pencilled letters are D (Diskant) in the treble and B (Bass) in the bass - which is the coventional labelling of the two sides in German.

Stephen,

Many thanks for your sage words, diagnosis and the link to a thread that I failed to find. Do you think that the German manufacturer had access to Nickolds parts or just copied them?

I expect the German manufacturer, whoever they were, had access to a Nickolds instrument and copied elements of the design to come up with these.

For that matter, you also get German-made copies of 2-row Lachenal Anglos turning up in England - whilst genuine Lachenal instruments were exported to Germany and available there.

Thanks Steven. 

Do we have any clue about the maker? The 'half-body' reed plates seem to be unique ?

7 hours ago, nkgibbs said:

So the maker is  E.I.N. Wieterer.........😀

A. Resident?

More likely you meant E.I.N. Weiterer = A.N. Other... 

A. Resident?

More likely you meant E.I.N. Weiterer = A.N. Other... 

Steven, You are absolutely right! German was never a strong point! 

Neil

• Like 1