English Concertina Box

Phil

Phil, you want a Pelican/Hardig IM2075.  You can get it with or without foam,.  Right around $50 last time I looked and a great deal.  Sadly, the 48 key english and related < 7" are the best fit.   Wish I could find one for a couple of my duets.

Kind regards,

Rod

I second the recommendation for a hard resin case, but as I get older and my arthritis gets worse, I’ve found the standard Pelican latches to be much inferior to those used on the Nanuk cases. I think the equivalent Nanuk is the 908.  (Disclaimer - I’ve not seen a pelican 2075, but am basing this on the other Pelicans I own for my sound recording equipment.)

• Thanks 1

The 918 can be had around USD 75 or so and can be nicely padded out, a little better than the smaller, current Pelican.  Pelican will likely follow sooner or later.  Email Nanuk and they will send you a scale drawing of the inside.  I can't recommend Kaizen foam highly enough.

(I have not bought this Nanuk "yet" but I have one for a melodeon.  I like it a lot.  They are little lighter than the Pelicans but pretty HD still...)

(Pelican catch much improved but Nanuk still nicer, IMO)

1 hour ago, Devils' Dream said:

I can't recommend Kaizen foam highly enough.

Is this the 'cube foam' that is an option when ordering a Nanuk case, or is this a different product altogether?

Belay that question, I found the Kaizen website:

https://kaizencasesandinserts.com/

But I am not clear about what the Kaizen foam actually is, it looks like it is just a top and bottom layer without any means to shape an interior?  Is that right?  If so then you would still need either the cube foam or to block the case yourself.

Edited by Don Taylor

Don, there are some videos on using Kaizen foam.  It is a "sandwich" foam, closed cell, much more durable and non-shedding than open cell pick and pluck foam.  It also comes as blocks (solid bricks in various shapes).  

• Thanks 1

What you do for a concertina case is buy one sheet and cut it into ~ 8 x 8 sheets and stack them on top of each other so you have a cube that's about 8 x 8 x 8 and shape it to fit the box and lid.

Then shape to fit as per video, going quite deep.  Makes a really custom fit.  Does waste a lot of foam.

Also can buy sheets and line top, bottom and sides and then create "blocks" like a normal concertina case.  Have seen it both ways.  

Will take a picture and send.

By far, the best type of case for a concertina that I've found is to buy and upper-end camera bag.  They are fully padded and have hand and shoulder straps and an inch or more of foam padding around all sides.  My Aeola when flying to the pavement once from 5'ft up out of my hands.  It rolled harmlessly to a stop with out damage or a sound.

Try that with a wooden or leather original case. 

Squeeze, you have the real issue identified: that inch "or more" of really good padding all around.  Few cases, hard or soft have this.  For a drop, it is the only way to protect a nice box.

That is main issue with the these Pelicans/Nanuks/Others.  Not enough foam.

Time for a nice, custom Anvil!!!

Only issue with soft cases is that have to be careful, say when packing luggage in the trunk/boot.  Pushing and pulling the cooler and suitcases, packs, etc. around in there can crush.  Need the hard case for that.

Also, if you are really unlucky when flying and they take your hand luggage away (it happens) you are f*****d with a soft case.