Some More (nw) Spanish

Henk van Aalten

Triggered by Wendy's Spanish experiment, I remembered a tune that I once recorded for my friend Joachim Delp.

It's from Galicia (North West Spain) and I played it on my Marcus G/C 30b Anglo and it's called Pandeirada de Entrimo. I heard it for the first time on an LP of Andrew Cronshaw "Earthed in Cloud Valley".

Edited by Henk van Aalten

A lovely contemplative tune....nicley played Henk. Is it possible to get a copy of the tune somewhere .

My 16 yr old daughter, who is a folk music sort, is going to Spain for a years student exchange .......probaly Madrid..... I would like to learn some Spanish tunes such as you played.

Robin

A lovely contemplative tune....nicley played Henk. Is it possible to get a copy of the tune somewhere .

Robin,

Thanks for your kind words. I did already some searching on this tune, but did not find anything. Therefore I have written the tune for you in ABC format and entered it in the Tune-O-Tron on this web site.

My 16 yr old daughter, who is a folk music sort, is going to Spain for a years student exchange .......probaly Madrid..... I would like to learn some Spanish tunes such as you played.

If your daughter is going to Madrid, she better learn some tunes/songs from Julio Iglesias ;) . I suppose that tunes from regions like Galicia are not very well known in Madrid <_< .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That's a wonderful tune. My ancestors hail from North Western Spain (by way of Cuba, then New York) and I remember listening to music from the region for the first time and remarking at how similar it was to Celtic music. Only over the past ten years did I discover the connection...it is!

I have a couple of books of Galician melodies which I've been pouring over to find something concertinable. I believe it makes for lovely concertina music and a new source of material.

That's a wonderful tune. My ancestors hail from North Western Spain (by way of Cuba, then New York) and I remember listening to music from the region for the first time and remarking at how similar it was to Celtic music. Only over the past ten years did I discover the connection...it is!

I have a couple of books of Galician melodies which I've been pouring over to find something concertinable. I believe it makes for lovely concertina music and a new source of material.

Paulino

I'm glad you like this tune! When you find tunes that are interesting for the concertina, let us know and (if possible) put them in the Tune-O-Tron at this site.

Felix and his twin brother have recorded two lovely Spanish tune sets for the Anglo International collection and although a very late entry they are a very valuable and enjoyable addition.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Robin

If you can handle ABC format look here. Asturias is next to Galicia.

As a matter of interest, there is a great local folk music newsletter here in Brisbane Australia that has been edited for many years by June & Don Nicols - both concertina players - June English & Don Anglo. In the current edition the monthly tune is another tune from the same district of Spain. There are some nice tunes in the previous months also if anyone is interested in some collected Australian tunes and dance tunes.

The web site is www.folkrag.org

Regards

Scott Fineran

That quite a collection! It will take very pleasant hours and hours to explore this treasure.

Thanks very much Wes.

You are welcome, Henk. I'd also like to point out a free ABC music system I've just discovered for PC called ABC Navigator. It seems very easy to use, except you need to change the file extension to .abc to get it to work.

Edited by wes williams

I'd also like to point out a free ABC music system I've just discovered for PC called ABC Navigator. It seems very easy to use, except you need to change the file extension to .abc to get it to work.

Up till now I used Henrick Norbeck's ABC-tool. It has a lot of interesting features, but what I see from this ABC Navigator it looks great. It has some features that I miss with Norbeck's tool.

Thanks Wes!!