Sign in to follow this  
Squeezebox Of Delights

Rare historical concertina?

Posted (edited)

I was reading a book of poems to my younger brother when I came across a picture of what seems to be a rare seven-sided ten-button Anglo. The age is uncertain but the ends and bellows look possibly German. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Oskar 🙃90CEA4EA-31AD-42B8-B268-1BA18F2231FA.jpeg.96722216bd2c8bdb92058c0b7ed1964a.jpeg

Edited by Squeezebox Of Delights

Posted (edited)

Rick Epping's Grandad?

Edited by Don Taylor
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Squeezebox Of Delights said:

I was reading a book of poems to my younger brother when I came across a picture of what seems to be a rare nine-sided ten-button Anglo. The age is uncertain but the ends and bellows look possibly German. Any suggestions?

You'd better count again, I make that SEVEN sides, and though extremely rare, such concertinas were made in Germany - and I've got a 20-key one in my collection. It's on exhibition, with more of my instruments, at the OaC in Miltown Malbay, and is at bottom right in this photo:

OaC%20concertinas.jpg

At top left there's a rare 10-key hexagonal one, whilst on the lower shelf there are two 10-key rectangular ones (the original form of the German concertina).

Edited by Stephen Chambers

7 hours ago, Stephen Chambers said:

You'd better count again, I make that SEVEN sides, and though extremely rare, such concertinas were made in Germany

Oops- I suppose my mind was probably in a different place. I’ll edit it ASAP. Interesting about those concertinas, though. I was trying to be funny and was not expecting to actually be right... !

Thanks,

Oskar

Stephen, what's the bellows geometry on the (Florentine?) instrument , second top left?

13 hours ago, wunks said:

Stephen, what's the bellows geometry on the (Florentine?) instrument , second top left?

The bellows are 5-sided, whilst I think the shape is maybe more like that of a fancy German shield.

• Like 1