A comment on the news

Jim:

Thanks.

I fear this could prove to be a downer [shall we say?] of a thread; nevertheless, allow me to suggest we look for tunes and songs that speak to present uncertainties and confusion, e.g., “The World Turned Upside Down,” for which See the Wikipedia entry at  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_Turned_Upside_Down 

8 hours ago, Jim Besser said:

...this tune came to mind.

"The End of the World" as a tune.  I shall learn it.

But I'm left wondering... is The Restaurant at the End of the World still open, or has it been forced to close because of the virus?

20 hours ago, David Colpitts said:

Thanks!  Was that Skeeter Davis, say, 1963? I didn’t look it up, so it really is just a guess....I do remember it being a regular “slow dance” in 8th grade.  That meets the “certain age” criterion, no?

Your version is great!

I recall The Seekers, with Judith Durham as lead singer.  It was a broken-heart love song.

Edited to add: a later post has shown that I obviously had a false memory.

Edited by John Wild

Yes, it was Skeeter Davis . 

I worked this up a couple of years ago at the Northeast Squeeze In -  for a session called "Pity Party, "  tunes / songs of doom and gloom - and then forgot about it until yesterday. Reading the morning news about hoarding toilet paper and crashing stock markets, it suddenly came to mind.    I can't imagine why. 

It's fun trying some of these old pop songs on concertina.  One I worked up a while back: Blame it on the Bossa Nova.

Maybe that will be today's quarantine project.

12 hours ago, CrP said:

Jim:

Thanks.

I fear this could prove to be a downer [shall we say?] of a thread; nevertheless, allow me to suggest we look for tunes and songs that speak to present uncertainties and confusion, e.g., “The World Turned Upside Down,” for which See the Wikipedia entry at  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_Turned_Upside_Down 

Craig - I didn't think about that one.  Foggy Bottom Morris does a dance ' Cavalier' to The World Turned Upside Down. Maybe I'll record it today.

Edited by Jim Besser

12 hours ago, CrP said:

Jim:

Thanks.

Here it is - another tune for the times: The World Turned Upside Down.

14 hours ago, CrP said:

...suggest we look for tunes and songs that speak to present uncertainties and confusion, e.g., “The World Turned Upside Down,”...

To add to the 'uncertainties and confusion', I can see 3 different tunes with that title in my ABC database, without going looking for more...?

The Wikipedia reference appears to be talking about 'When The King Enjoys His Own Again', which I remember reading once upon a

time, was supposed to be the most popular tune in England at the time of the Restoration. Also recorded by Martin Wyndham-Read

on 'Songs and Music of the Redcoats' (Argo ZDA 147).

One of the three tunes which I mention above is probably the tune written by Leon Rosselson also referred to in the Wiki article - it

has a very Billy-Braggish sound to it...

The third is in 6/8 and came with no information/attribution/etc.

Edited by lachenal74693