Here's beginner's sheet music for Alice in Wonderland

marimo-maiden

Hi all! I'm a concertina beginner with a 20 button C/G anglo concertina. I can't sight read from regular, non-concertina sheet music (yet), and I really enjoy learning songs from the two concertina sheet music books I have. I'm starting to run out of songs that I like to play in them, so I figured I'd try to make some basic sheet music for myself. I can figure out simple melodies by fiddling around just fine, but when it comes to inventing chords, I find it hard to memorize them without sheet music to help me learn. For arranging, I downloaded Musescore and I'm getting hang of the program.

I'm beginning with Alice in Wonderland (the main theme from the 1951 film). So far I just put in the basic melody, but next I want to figure out some left hand accompaniment. I thought if there's any other beginners that maybe just the melody would be helpful to them.

Open the PDF (alice4concertina.pdf) if you just want the sheet music. I've also included the Midi file (alicemidi.mid) should you want it. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on it or recommendations! Hopefully I will have a more fleshed out version of it ready to post soon. :D 

alice4concertina.pdf alicemidi.mid

Hi there Marimo-Maiden, welcome to the concertina world!

But instead of inventing yet another tablature/notation system, might I suggest you consider something like the attached? It's the numbering system used by the early tutors from the 1800's, with bellows direction indicated by a drawing a line over the button number for the "draw" of the bellows (and used in all the Rollston Press Anglo books)? Very simple to read and to use, and with the advantage of being easy to pencil in with printed sheet music. Learning Anglo is hard enough by itself - it really helps to have an easy notation system!

Gary

Tablature-Anglo.pdf

• Thanks 1

@gcoover :0 Oh so that's how it's supposed to be done? That makes sense, then it'll be a lot less crowded between the staffs when I get to the left hand. I'll try it that way once I can figure out how to on Musescore. Thank you for the example!

Anyhow, I can't take credit for inventing this notation system, since I was trying to mimic the way it's marked in one of the books I have. This one is "Mel Bay's Deluxe Concertina Book By Frank J. Converse". I attached a pic of the cover and a sample from inside. I don’t know if that’s the origin of that notation system or why they did it that way. Perhaps to be simple for beginners to reading sheet music? 

The other book I have is totally different from both of those systems too, because it marks "D" for draw and "P" for push over each note. It's not the most elegant, since D's and P's kinda look similar when reading quickly. If you're wondering, that book is called "the Best Concertina method-yet! by Bob Kail" distributed by Hal Leonard (it's got a guy riding a crocodile on it).

IMG_7517.JPG

IMG_7520.JPG