Two Edeophones

Morris music

I have been given two Edeophones that are in reasonably good condition and I would like some idea of their history and value.

The first is No. 59791 with 56 keys, 6-fold bellows, wooden ends, steel reeds and it is 12-sided, 6.74 inches across the flats with metal buttons.

The second is No. 60172 with 48 keys, 6-fold bellows, wooden ends, steel reeds and it is 12-sided but smaller than the other at five and five-eighths inches across the flats. It has what looks like bone or plastic buttons.

Both instruments are in reasonable condition and can be played but they are in need of some refurbishment and are both just off concert pitch. The smaller one, in particular, is quite loud and suitable for leading an ensemble. 

Both have cases but these will need quite a bit of work.

I have more pictures and look forward to hearing your comments.

Lachenal59791General.jpeg

Lachenal60172General.jpeg

It is  plain  to  see the 48k    is  smaller than  normal  by the position of the thumb  straps  and those  Edeophone  cam lever  strap  clamps  hanging over the top  edges.    It  would be nice to  see close ups of the buttons  on that one.

1 hour ago, Geoff Wooff said:

Looks like    early plastic  buttons,  some of  which  had  fancy  names  , one I  recall  was called  'Erinoid' I  think ?

I thought they were glass that has become a bit frosted (maybe from polishing with an abrasive cleaner)? 

8 hours ago, Geoff Wooff said:

Looks like    early plastic  buttons,  some of  which  had  fancy  names  , one I  recall  was called  'Erinoid' I  think ?

Erinoid was the brand name of a casein plastic developed by the Condensed Milk Co. of Ireland/"Erin", manufactured in Stroud, Gloucestershire, from 1914-1980.

I've seen a New Model, and an Edeophone, with those buttons before - but they are rare!