duet concertina modern tunes?

hello.

I am going to be buying a duet with any luck and was curious if anyone has recorded and played any accordion type tunes eg katyusha with accompaniment, game of thrones etc. I recently heard the lotr in dreams cover by someone here (sorry forgot who) and it sounded great. as I understand accordion reeded concertina's and concertina reed concertina's sound different.

thanks

A long time ago I have recorded „Sunday Smile” by Beirut in accordion style (based directy on accordion video tutorial) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S-bySYW3XVA

I play a lot of accordion style arrangements of modern rock/alternative songs and duets are great for this, as you have all chords readily available and you can freely construct very large chords (6-8 notes) using both hands when you don’t need melody or play melody and full 3-4 note chords when playing both melody and accompaniment. The biggest limitation is the size of the instrument, so you’ll often have to play accompaniment in the same octave as melody or use a lot of inverted chords to mantain progressions structure. But a lot can be squeezed out even a humble Elise. 

While it is true, that concertina and accordion reeds sound different, the main reason why concertina arrangements sound different than accordion arangements is in number of reeds speaking at any time. The second one is that the left hand of duet concertina is equivalent to free-base converter equipped accordion, usually found only on expensive accordions, inviting more melodic style accompaniment instead of typical accordion oom-pah rhytms. So those two groups of players tend to explore different styles.

You may also want to find and listen to Kato Toru on YT - he has recorded a lot of modern game/film music in duet like arrangements on his large (40+ buttons) anglo. 

Edited by Łukasz Martynowicz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2020 at 6:23 PM, accordian said:

hello.

I am going to be buying a duet with any luck and was curious if anyone has recorded and played any accordion type tunes eg katyusha with accompaniment, game of thrones etc. I recently heard the lotr in dreams cover by someone here (sorry forgot who) and it sounded great. as I understand accordion reeded concertina's and concertina reed concertina's sound different.

thanks

Is this the kind of thing you’re looking for?

https://youtu.be/wqwDnMXrY9Q