Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Theo said:

 

I use 600g art paper.

 

Where can I find one like that online? Is there any on ebay? I can never get a perfect circle with the card that I’m using... I use a wad punch and a steel mallet, and punch against wood. The felt and the leather come out well in shape but the card just looks horrible on the edges. 

 

image.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is your wad punch sharp enough?

How is your wooden block setup?

Set your punch and wood block so that you're punching parallel with the grain of the wood, this way you're punching along the wood fibres and it'll preserve the sharp edge of your wad punch for longer.

Edited by SteveS
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s probably that the punch is not sharp enough, any ideas on how to sharpen it? Only few of my pads have come out well round, the rest tend to delaminate on the edges. I bought some pads from ebay but they are too big for my concertina hence I’m trying to make my own. I found that the card used on these is a lot stronger than the card I’m using, could that be the problem as well? 

image.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, W3DW said:

Rather than using a hammer, put the punch to the card and rotate it to cut through. 

I tried that but I find it to be a lot harder and less precise in my opinion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteveS said:

Set your punch and wood block so that you're punching parallel with the grain of the wood, this way you're punching along the wood fibres and it'll preserve the sharp edge of your wad punch for longer.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but I would set up the wood block so that you are punching into the ends of the wood fibres, not across the grain.

But, better still:

https://www.sailrite.com/3-Tips-for-Better-Hole-Cutting

 

47 minutes ago, rcr27 said:

It’s probably that the punch is not sharp enough, any ideas on how to sharpen it?

That punch looks pretty knackered.  See:

https://www.sailrite.com/Can-I-Sharpen-My-Hole-Cutter

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Don Taylor said:

Not sure if this is what you mean, but I would set up the wood block so that you are punching into the ends of the wood fibres, not across the grain.

But, better still:

https://www.sailrite.com/3-Tips-for-Better-Hole-Cutting

 

That punch looks pretty knackered.  See:

https://www.sailrite.com/Can-I-Sharpen-My-Hole-Cutter

Yes, punch into the ends of the fibres of the punch wood block.

Also, as the article say, use a mallet not a hammer to strike the cutter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rcr27 said:

Where can I find one like that online? Is there any on ebay? I can never get a perfect circle with the card that I’m using... I use a wad punch and a steel mallet, and punch against wood. The felt and the leather come out well in shape but the card just looks horrible on the edges. 

 

 

 

Just search for 600gsm watercolour paper, or 640gsm

 

Your punch definitely needs sharpening.  If you know someone with a Tormek grinding wheel you could improve it.

I punch onto a plastic block sold as a kitchen chopping board.  It's cheap and effective.  I use a set of punches I made to fit into a small hand press.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This was the last lot of card I bought from artdiscount.co.uk/, cost in 2018 about £30 for 5 sheets just under A1 size.  Should last me for years!

 

 

E56B69D1-0781-4288-8BDF-4705522C7E86_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.3cc62e7dd224d255f5bcebc509667451.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Theo said:

I use a set of punches I made to fit into a small hand press.

Is that the eyelet machine? I have bought that hand press as well with the purpose of making pads instead of using a mallet but I can’t quite find the right way of doing so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Theo said:

Your punch definitely needs sharpening.  If you know someone with a Tormek grinding wheel you could improve it.

I punch onto a plastic block sold as a kitchen chopping board.  It's cheap and effective.  I use a set of punches I made to fit into a small hand press.

I get my clicker and arch punches from a die company and the cutting pad material they supply is similar to the plastic cutting board material though a little tougher.  It preserves the punch sharpness.  Once it gets too chewed up on the surface, you can take a skim cut off the surface on a small portable  planer often found in small wood shops to resurface it.  It comes a little thicker than 1 cm, so you can resurface it a number if times before it needs to be discarded.  Whatever surface you were punching in has sure wrecked that punch!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was definitely the wrecked wad punch that was causing the problem. Just gave it a good sharp with the dremel and happy days! :) (Photo shows the original ones, dodgy attempt, and final attempt). I’m wondering if pads shrink with age?

 

image.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...