More news on 3D printed concertinas...

RAc

An earlier thread about 3-D printed concertinas (also English) is here.

At the time, I contacted Edward Jay asking whether an Anglo was a possibility, what key combination,

and how much it would cost, though I did not report the results of that exchange here. I now do so:

Anglos were a possibility, minimum production run of 5 instruments (because the reed suppliers have

a minimum order of 5 sets), and a final cost of ~£900. I didn't take the matter any further

I can't see any indication on the site mentioned in the OP (or on the parent site) that this is an actual

'production' item...

6 hours ago, RAc said:

just found this and post it for the Attention of the community without any comment. Sorry if this should be a dupe (I haven't found the name JH on this forum via the search function).

http://justine-haupt.com/Concertina/

It looks, from the web site, like the only 3D printed parts are the ends. Unlike the one from last autumn that Roger linked to.

16 minutes ago, David Barnert said:

It looks, from the web site, like the only 3D printed parts are the ends. Unlike the one from last autumn that Roger linked to.

very true, even more specific: How to make printed PLA parts look like real wood.

Apologies for (possibly) implying something different in the title.

I myself am not too fond of printed concertinas (or parts thereof), even though I gave that very concept a try a few years ago. Nevertheless these things raise interest in me, so I thought I'd share the discovery...

Edited by RAc

Yeah. I was fascinated (still am!) by the concept as expounded in the thread I cited, if only because I've

never (knowingly) seen a 3-D printed object.

That was why I contacted Edward Jay.

If it were possible to buy a single instrument (minimum production run of 5, remember), I might be tempted

to buy one (an Anglo) just for the hell of it.

I also wondered if the current 'product' is a 'proof-of-concept' project rather than a serious first step along

the road to actually producing one of these beasts. I also wonder how the loading of sawdust (*) in the final

mix affects the strength/rigidity of the final 'product'.

(*) I assume that's how the final 'wood-effect' is achieved - or is it simply wood-coloured plastic?

Edited by lachenal74693

Apparently there are wood fibres in it, but the raw prints pretty much look like light brown plastic, or modelling clay, but with the characteristic layering artefacts that you get from FDM printers (the 'staircase' pattern you see in the second photo). The wood grain effect comes from sanding and staining. I guess the fibres help to make it stainable, because normal plastic is non porous and wood stain would just wipe off.