Sign in to follow this  
Ros

Ros

I have inherited a Jeffries concertina. It doesn't seem to play terribly well (tho I can't actually play the concertina). My question is - should I try to sell it as it is, or have it restored first? Also where is best to sell, music shop or auction house?

Hello ,Do you know if the box is a duet or anglo? and how many keys has it?. Restoration costs can be expensive I suggest you try to find a local restorer or a good player to assess whether to sell as is or the pay a good restorer to undertake the restoration.

Regards.

Mike Acott

On 2/22/2020 at 4:42 PM, Ros said:

I have inherited a Jeffries concertina. It doesn't seem to play terribly well (tho I can't actually play the concertina). My question is - should I try to sell it as it is, or have it restored first? Also where is best to sell, music shop or auction house?

I suggest sell it here unrestored, and it get into the hands of an enthusiast.

Music shop will take a hefty cut in commission, and may not be able to correctly assess its value.

An auction house might get a good price for it (depending on who is in the room at the time) and will take a huge sellers premium (20-33% being typical of the hammer price).

Alternatively, get it restored and learn to play yourself, and have fun.

Edited by SteveS

It will need a good evaluation to set a fair price.  You could try an auction or contact an expert.  Even selling it online will take the courage to take it apart to photograph the insides.  If you've not done that before it can be a bit daunting.   There are two or three people in the States that spring to mind if you are in the US.  I don't know who are the best bets elsewhere. But I bet someone here does.