Wolverton concertinas are now producing 38 and 40 button instruments

I am happy to say that I am now making 38 and 40 button concertinas, previously I had 34 buttons as the maximum. Also new is that I am also now offering wooden ended instruments, as before it was metal ended only. Currently walnut Burr or amboyna are the available finishes. The instrument pictured is a 38 button C/G with walnut burr ends.

These features are only available on the advanced model (made with concertina reeds) 

For more information including prices and waiting times visit:

www.wolvertonconcertinas.com 

t21.jpgt2 2.jpg

Edited by Jake Middleton-Metcalfe
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jody Kruskal said:

Hi Jake,

Now, I'm starting to drool with desire for one of your G/D 38 button Anglos. What does the right side look like?

Much like the Left side, no makers name plate though, I could put some other pictures up this weekend :) 

Jeffries layout on a 38 C/G or G/D can be done. Many other variants would be possible as the reeds are made in house they can just be made as needed. I am hoping to research some other historical keyboard layout options and put them on the website. Some varieties are already up but there seems to be quite an endless list of various historic layouts. I will endeavour to put the most common ones on my website and just remind people that they can have it changed to their tastes if needed. 

As requested here is an image of the right hand side. No makers name plate, it has that diamond shape instead. 

rhs 2.jpg

Edited by Jake Middleton-Metcalfe

Please explain for an ignorant EC player:

I see 18+1 buttons on the left and 19+1 on the right side. For me this makes 37 or 39, but never 38. Or am I missing something?

Edited by Leonard

8 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Please explain for an ignorant EC player:

I see 18+1 buttons on the left and 19+1 on the right side. For me this makes 37 or 39, but never 38. Or am I missing something?

The right thumb button isn't included in the count because it's the air button/wind key and doesn't play a note.

2 hours ago, Leonard said:

I see. Thanks.

So the left thumb button does play a note? Or two I suppose, one on the push, one on the pull?

yes, this one plays Bb3 push A3 pull, though C4 push and C4 pull on that button is probably more common historically, this is just what that particular customer wanted. 

• Thanks 1

Hurray! Socket head screws on your reeds.  Why not on the end bolts too, or do you make those yourself?  Sorry everyone, I am not a fan of slotted head screws.  Perhaps they have a place, but it isn’t on things that are designed and destined to be taken apart.  
BTW.  Fine looking instrument.  Bet it sounds even better!

Dana

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 1:29 AM, Dana Johnson said:

Hurray! Socket head screws on your reeds.  Why not on the end bolts too, or do you make those yourself?  Sorry everyone, I am not a fan of slotted head screws.  Perhaps they have a place, but it isn’t on things that are designed and destined to be taken apart.  
BTW.  Fine looking instrument.  Bet it sounds even better!

Dana

In this case I did make the bolts but that is not my normal practice. Honestly I did once put socket head screws on an earlier instrument but found that visually they just looked a bit out of place. Though they are indeed easier to use, I like using them on the reed frames.

I had specifically asked Alex to mount socket head end bolts on my Holden #3, and I'm very happy with them, both visually and functionally. Alex prefers straight slotted screws, and I guess so do most of his other customers. I guess it's one of those things where a number of folks want their instruments to look vintage.

On mine the reed frames are fitted with slotted head bolts which is fine with me (the idea is that those are not maintainable parts, so there is no need for me to ever touch them, whereas I need to take the ends off every once in a while). So the combo socket in the reed frames and slotted in the ends to me seems somewhat strange.

12 minutes ago, RAc said:

On mine the reed frames are fitted with slotted head bolts which is fine with me (the idea is that those are not maintainable parts, so there is no need for me to ever touch them, whereas I need to take the ends off every once in a while). So the combo socket in the reed frames and slotted in the ends to me seems somewhat strange.

I switched from hex to slotted screws on the reed frames because the heads are a bit lower profile and I think they may have been a few pence per screw less expensive. The only difference really is that they are a tiny bit fiddlier to insert because you can't hold the screw on the end of the screwdriver the way you can with a hex socket screw. I've never have a problem with the screwdriver slipping or damaging the slot. It isn't a big deal either way IMHO.