Fedex Hates Me....

I bought a concertina from ebay....and FedEx crushed it at their loading dock! :angry:

I wonder how bad that must have sounded?!?!?!

Anyone have a VERY cheap beginner model EC to sell? Scholer, etc. nothing fancy!

Greg

Jim:

It was an inexpensive "Morelli" English purchased from "ADeal4U" on ebay. They were great to work with and gave me a full paypal refund, including s/h money, so there's no monetary loss. I ran home like a kid on Christmas every day for a week, though, just to get the package. Unfortunately, it never came :(

I'm watching a couple on ebay still, but THIS vendor is out of stock for a few months to come. I just wondered what ever happened to all those cheap Scholers and Stagis that everyone seems to have learned on...It's GOT to be cheap, though! I already owe the Fed hundreds in taxes this year!

Greg

We appear to all be on the same page - Otsaku told me the same thing. I already fired off an e:mail to them inquiring as to used Jackies vs. new ones, etc. I'm also bidding on a vintage Scholer, and there's a newer Wheatstone Mayfair ending tomorrow, so all hope is not lost for a cheap box! I wouldn't know a good sound from a bad one, anyway as I am 100%, never even held one, clueless!

Greg

We appear to all be on the same page - Otsaku told me the same thing.  I already fired off an e:mail to them inquiring as to used Jackies vs. new ones, etc.  I'm also bidding on a vintage Scholer, and there's a newer Wheatstone Mayfair ending tomorrow, so all hope is not lost for a cheap box!  I wouldn't know a good sound from a bad one, anyway as I am 100%, never even held one, clueless!

Greg

Some of the Mayfairs can be quite nice - though a bit rattly round the buttons.

Chris J

Greg, if you can get a used Jackie for short money...do it. I've played one. It has a good sound and I didn't encounter the sticky button thing that can drive one to consider throwing the offending instrument at the nearest brick wall.

My first instrument was a leaky Bastari EC. I grew to loathe it with the leaky bellows and sticky buttons.Grrr!

While I realize the reliability of a new instrument, I find myself drawn to the older instruments...it's all part of being from a family of antique dealers, I suppose! If I don't get the Scholer, I'll pursue the Mayfair, and from there we'll see...

Greg

and there's a newer Wheatstone Mayfair ending tomorrow,

My impression from the few Mayfair anglos I've handled is that they are better than Stagis, though not hugely so.

Best of luck in getting an instrument. I have heard a rumour that FedEx are on the Sons Of Wheatstone hit list. I wouldn't like to be in their [reed] shoes.

Chris

sounds like you don't mean the mayfairs are a good buy chris..? or at least of good quality.

Depends what you mean. They don't stand comparison to "proper" traditionally-made Wheastone concertinas, but then they weren't intended to. They were a relatively cheap accordion-reeded concertina intended as a first instrument, and priced accordingly.

If I was in the market for a concertina in that price range I would certainly go for a good-condition Mayfair in preference to a Stagi. They are OK for what they are, and at the right price can, of course, be a good buy.

Chris

Greg,

My own opinion would be that a Mayfair, in good playing order, is a much better instrument than anything Bastari/Stagi have ever made. Bear in mind though that the Mayfair was only in production from 1955-60, so it is going to be between 45-50 years old and may need some maintenance but, having a "proper" concertina mechanism, they are repairable (unlike the Italian boxes).

You have me confused with all your references to Scholers, as they only ever made German concertinas (i.e. Anglo fingering, not English) and are a very different beast.

I fear it is I who am confused. Let's face it, I haven't the foggiest notion what I'm doing yet. The Scholer I liked on ebay went for $125.51 plus s/h and insurance. In my opinion, too much for what it was. The mayfair has a day to go and is already over $150...when I can get a Jackie for $220. No real bargain there, either. Mr. Wikker wrote me yesterday and as I told him, it is beginning to look like I can't currently afford to buy anything even worth having. I'll look into liquidating some other instruments and see if I can raise more capital in the next few months. This will also allow me to be less "desperate" to buy ANY concertina on ebay!

In the meantime, I'll just lurk and learn from the experts....

Greg

Henk:

You're right...I'm quite torn. English seems easier to understand (same note in/out) but Anglo is somewhat less expensive and supposedly better to play by ear on...either way, I'm short on cash. The real problem is that I have no reference point toward what might be right for me. Until I figure that out, there's probably no point in pursuing an instrument that may be wrong for me...

"The first step toward wisdom is the realization of how little you know".

Greg

The only thing I can say about the cost of concertinas that might help is that the more you pay for a concertina the more you'll get back if you sell it.

By all means hang around, also if you possibly can hang around with flesh-and-blood concertina players. Easier in the UK, I know, but there's no better way of deciding what you want than talking to players about why they chose their main squeeze, and then having a bit of a twiddle on it yourself.

Best of luck either way. It's a slippery slope from here on in, but a very rewarding one!

Chris

Central Indiana in particular is a cultural wasteland. I attend every Gaelic, English and Folk music event I hear about, and have NEVER in my 38 years seen anyone play a concertina live. Fiddle? Sure. Bodrahn? Sure. Harp? Sure. Accordian? Well that's as close as it gets, and then only in Polka settings...

I won't give up on this, but I'm feeling damned impatient and frustrated! I can buy a running, titled motorcycle for less than a ratty, buttons-missing, holes in the bellows 40-year old concertina! (And have, on more than a dozen occasions) It just doesn't make sense to me....

Anyone want to trade a decent concertina for a used motorcycle??? ;)

Greg

Greg, it's been said many times elsewhere on this site, but don't forget the Button Box (look for their links all over CNet). They have a decent rental policy- you could try one style for a few months, then either switch and try another or stick with what you've begun. And they ship, and they're prompt, and they're great to work with!