J. Gale concertina importers

rcr27

I have just acquired my first duet concertina, a Lachenal Maccann 63 key edeophone and it has got this stamp inside: “J. Gale importer or concertinas & accordions”, wondering if anyone knows anything about it? I can’t find any information about them. The serial number is 3100, would that be early 1900s? I got told this concertina came over from Italy after the war. Interestingly the reeds are tuned to concert pitch (with slight deviations), although the valves are old.

Thanks in advance

45A82292-64DC-4E83-A172-78031A50233D.jpeg

I tried to do some research into Mr Gale many years ago,(pre-internet???), but found little information.. Maybe worth doing a bit more research now that newspaper archive and such are on line....

From what I remember, Gale called his brand "The Nightingale", which was etched into the end frames of a couple of English models I knew of, both quality Wheatstones. Gale was a locksmith by trade according to a later "rubber stamp" I've seen.

From the late 19th century onwards, King Street developed into a thriving retail precinct. After its initial prosperity, it became run down for much of the 20th century, when Newtown was a low-income blue-collar suburb, often denigrated as a slum; at the crucial time when Victorian era buildings were being demolished elsewhere, Newtown was too unfashionable to make development profitable. By this sheer luck, King Street, as a whole, is the best-preserved Victorian era high street in Sydney. and is again a fashionable address. (Wikipedia quote)

I have different addresses for Gale, being both  no. 501 and no. 509 King Street at different dates, but I believe there may have been some re-numbering (or maybe he just moved a lot!)

That's about all I can remember from my early efforts, ,but I'll see if I can dig out my old notes on Gale and post again if they reveal anything of interest.

Edited by malcolm clapp
Adding information.

4 minutes ago, rcr27 said:

Interesting, thanks for the information. Indeed, very little about him online. I wonder if he was a repairer too. 

Would not surprise me; you would think that a locksmith would have the metal working and fine work skills for fixing concertinas.

47 minutes ago, malcolm clapp said:

Would not surprise me; you would think that a locksmith would have the metal working and fine work skills for fixing concertinas.

True, perhaps that’s how my concertina is tuned to A=440Hz and not old pitch. 

11 minutes ago, malcolm clapp said:

A newspaper photo of a Jim Gale of Kings Cross, Sydney, in 1949.

Might be our man.....

21 Dec 1949 - Experts on the "squeeze" - Trove

Jim Gale, must be him! It would make sense since this concertina arrived in England after the war, I guess 1945 onwards. Thanks for the link.

Edited by rcr27