Jeff Thomas Concertina review

Hi all, would anyone be so kind as to give me an opinion/ review either on the forum or privately on Jeff Thomas’s concertinas? Such as where they would be on the quality ratings etc. I appreciate that each handmade instrument can be different but in general. I am looking to trade up from a Claro accordion reeded but have never heard of the Jeff Thomas. Thank you in advance. 

I was fortunate enough to start on a Thomas (#5). It was not, however, a “beginner” instrument. The workmanship was excellent, and the sound and action were very good too. I had the thing on loan from my brother who also owned a beautiful Jeffries and didn’t miss the Thomas too much. I returned it to him after a few months and bought a Carroll, a decision I have not regretted. I know a couple of excellent players who have Thomas instruments, and they are happy with them. The Thomas I had really projected and could easily cut through the din of a big session. This has been true of the other Thomases I have heard. They have a big sound. 

• Thanks 1

Jeff is a good guy and excellent craftsman.  As a maker, I am always interested in the innards as well as the playability, and he clearly can be proud of his work.  He used to work with a metal flute maker I believe and is used to doing careful accurate work.  If he is up to #38 now, he has likely improved from an already excellent beginning.  From  my experience with them, he is up there with the best.  You would have to make your choices by tone preference, not quality. The one I played was fast and responsive.  Unfortunately it was in a very noisy  space that made it hard to hear over the incredible din in the auditorium where he had a table set up.  

• 2 years later...
On 2/8/2020 at 2:20 PM, Johna said:

Hello Anne,

I have a beautiful Thomas no. 6  30 button c/g which I willing to sell if the price is right . I'm based in Southern Ireland 

Do you still have this for sale?

14 hours ago, Reen49 said:

Do you still have this for sale?

There was an advert on DoneDeal for a Thomas C/G 30b anglo, it was still up the last time I did a search for concertinas there (the day before yesterday) If I recall correctly the ad said that the concertina is at Custy's in Ennis being sold on consignment.

4 minutes ago, Jillser Nic Amhlaoibh said:

There was an advert on DoneDeal for a Thomas C/G 30b anglo, it was still up the last time I did a search for concertinas there (the day before yesterday) If I recall correctly the ad said that the concertina is at Custy's in Ennis being sold on consignment.

Thanks, I saw it. I see they've withdrawn it since I enquired but the shop said it's still available. I've sent them a few questions as I'm up in Dublin. What are your own thoughts on the Thomas. Is it an intermediate or an advanced instrument? I can't find a whole lot about it.