New Items In Cnet Museum

wes williams

Nobody here has remarked on the three new items in the cnet museum - including a record sleeve with a photo of a large group of English players in Glasgow. The name on the sleeve rings a bell - was Ross the name we saw on that 'New Edeophone' that popped up a while back? The 1930's date would match with the late number it had, near to Lachenal's closure.

I think your right Wes.I can recollect over the last few years seeing two Lachenal Edeophone's being sold by Chris Algar.One was covered in green perloid and the other in gold perloid.The plate on one end had some reference to them being made for Professor Ross.They looked well made and appeared to be very playable.Wheatsone's had agents in may industrial town and cities in Britain where you bought a concertina on easy terms which included lessons from the Agent.Harry Hatton of Haydock,Lancashire who I played with for many years obtained his first instrument and learnt to play in this way.I suppose Lachenal's also did this.Perhaps the instruments were made fro Prof Ross's pupils.

Do you have any idea who Principal A.M. Ross was, Wes ?                Robin

I'm afraid that other than the sleeve and the 'New Edeophone' I have no further info, Robin. But the two items together give us a very good view of just how active this Scots group must have been. I've also just dug around my hard disk and found this photo.

post-119-1111433990_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wes and Robin,

I only know of Ross as a dealer and teacher of concertinas but my grandfather, Henry Thomas Crabb does seem to have made concertinas for Ross during the period 1927 – 1929. From the records it seems that all instruments supplied were of English system and included various models i.e.

48 key Hexagonal Mahogany Trebles ‘The £5 model’,

48 key Hexagonal Metal topped Trebles,

48 key Octagonal Amboyna Trebles,

48 key Hexagonal Metal topped Trebles,

48 key Octagonal Amboyna Tenors

56 key Hexagonal and Octagonal Amboyna Trebles,

56 key Octagonal Ebonised Trebles ‘The £13 model’,

56 key Hexagonal and Octagonal Amboyna Tenor-Trebles,

56 key Hexagonal and Octagonal Amboyna Baritone-Tenors,

64 key Octagonal Amboyna Baritone-Trebles,

64 key Octagonal Metal topped Baritone-Trebles,

66 key Octagonal Metal topped Baritone-Trebles, extended.

The name ‘Ross’ was frequently incorporated in the fretwork of metal topped instruments.

I have a copy of the picture that was icluded on the record sleeve and although tatty is I think clearer. Unfortunately I only seem to be able to attach the upper half of it for some reason?????

Geoff

Edited by Geoffrey Crabb