I made a tote for my mini Stagi, I like it.

If you go to my Twitter link, the previous tweet is a short video of the tote.

This tote was impromptu and kind of tossed together... but I like it.  Had a case for the mini Stagi at one time but it always seemed small and then it got wrecked, anyway.

So anyway, just thought I'd share this, for fun... Not trying to sell any, really, but I guess that's a possibility sometime.

Hi 

I love your efforts. I have been obsessed with making containers, bags and receptacles for my miniature Lachenal since I got it last July.  It is for practical reasons but also seems a bit like a concertina related obsession that I can't explain, but makes me more of a mystery to my wife.

Richard

20200129_124541.jpg

Edited by richard
  • Like 1

Richard, nice work! I think it's a great "art form" making these bags/ containers because it's something you need but you can also do whatever you want.

Dave, the bellows just rest slightly open, as I've let them do, but it seems to work alright at least for this mini Stagi. I guess I wouldn't do that with my regular sized concertinas, a Morse Geordie baritone and Morse Albion treble, and a Bastari.

Hi 

The hard wooden case keeps the bellows compressed. It couldn't be any smaller.

The other bags are for temporarily carrying the mini around at my work with old folks and people with dementia.Having a light weight bag that protects the instrument enough  is useful for carrying the instrument around and having it ready at hand to put a smile on someone's face,

Richard

• Like 1

for my Wheatstone miniature i use a whisky bottle tube but I have fitted bellows hooks to keep the bellows tight, and provide more protection. For a mini the swept cross sectional area is so low that you cannot afford to waste any air volume in play. my mini is only  2.75 inches across the flats,  externally. I applaud your good works, i do something similar, and drop my bottle tube into a shoulder bag for the same purpose. What size is your mini Stagi?

Dave

Hi Dave

My Lachenal miniature is 3.75 across the flats. It isn't the smallest mini but it is very versatile and useful. With an air button. It has 22 buttons and I can play a large portion of my normal repertoire on it because of the range. It is in D/A and has the equivalent of the C# on the right and the G# on the left. It is also fitted with (easily removable) straps and handles. Randy Merris included it in his paper on miniature concertinas. I love playing it, and the sound it makes. It does improve my air usage skills because of the limited bellow capacity.

Richard

Lachenal miniature DA 1.jpg

Edited by richard

On 2/1/2020 at 10:44 AM, d.elliott said:

for my Wheatstone miniature i use a whisky bottle tube but I have fitted bellows hooks to keep the bellows tight, and provide more protection. For a mini the swept cross sectional area is so low that you cannot afford to waste any air volume in play. my mini is only  2.75 inches across the flats,  externally. I applaud your good works, i do something similar, and drop my bottle tube into a shoulder bag for the same purpose. What size is your mini Stagi?

Dave

Good idea (bottle tube).

What I have is the A18 - 18 buttons, so not exactly "mini" compared to true minis. The inset in the pic below shows the Stagi compared to a regular sized EC, the Morse Albion.

2020-02-03_10-10-11.jpg

Hi All,

I know I said I was not making any more 'tines, well I almost controlled the urge, so after two violins and a viola, (not as much fun as making concertinas I hasten to add) these seemed to fashion themselves in the workshop. Some roo skin, some and bovine hide. They keep the instrument nicely compressed and sitting on the side, hopefully the valves won't hang down.

May you all have a great year,

David

PS: I did make just one more 'tina: a christmas present. My wife suggests i read a tome about obsession ... . I've no idea what she means.

IMG_3487.jpg

IMG_3485.jpg

• Like 2