Where to get end bolt anchors for new bellows frame?

Do you mean the little flat plates buried in the ends of the frames?  They have two screw holes for wood screws to attach them to the frame and a central hole tapped to receive the end bolt?

I made my own out of some brass plate of the right thickness, it was not difficult but a bit tedious.  The only problem (a big one) would be if you cannot find a tap of the right size for your existing end bolts.  I replaced the end bolts and was able to get a matching tap.

Since then I have noticed that 'Sandylaneman' on eBay sells sets of new end bolts with matching threaded inserts for about 60 euros.  A bit pricey but that would save a lot fiddly work.  Sandylaneman is the guy in Ireland that makes bellows, pads and some other spares for concertinas.  I would check the bolt lengths before laying down any money.

I don't know if this link will work, if not then try searching for sandylaneman on eBay.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ie%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113983760680

I have never bought from sandylaneman, maybe somebody else can vouch for him?

• Thanks 1

Happy to vouch for him. Bought a few things from him and found his prompt communication, helpful advice and delivery times especially welcome.

I'm loathe to place his name and email address on an open forum; he obviously has his reasons for keeping a low profile, which we must respect.

I have not tried his end bolt and anchor sets, and I wonder about the extent of repairing damage to the end frames caused by removing the old traditional style anchors if restoring old bellows.. His anchors appear to be a bit wider than the typical bellows frame, so some creative woodwork may be required. I note that the OP is talking about a new bellows, so may be less of a concern, designing the bellows frame to fit the anchors. However, I'm sure he would advise.on the best method....or he might be willing to fit them for you on request (for a fee) if you were to send him the concertina. Dunno.

• Thanks 1

Personally I ran into difficulties with accurately installing cylindrical nut inserts in bellows frames, so I went back to the traditional flat 2mm brass plates held on with two small wood screws. I make my own end bolts with an 8BA thread, which is the same diameter as the vintage ones but a bit finer pitch. They work fine and are possibly slightly stronger.

At one point I looked into the possibility of having a custom tap and die made to match the vintage Wheatstone thread pattern, but it was going to cost hundreds of pounds for a one off.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your expert suggestions.

I like Alex's method best even if it is a bit more work. Noting that brass is easier to work with anyway, and new end bolts solely for a new bellows would be the best way ahead.

But I am not stripping the old bellows frames for this project, rather, planning to save the entire good working bellows as it is. Job needs a full new frame with new end bolts and anchors.