Jump to content

Lachenal Edeophone Maccann Duet


Harbob
 Share

Recommended Posts

Selling a Lachenal Edeophone Maccann 63 button Duet. Serial number 3684. 

The right hand side start at middle C whilst the left hand side starts at A2. The Concertina library website Ledger C1074  page 025 states that this instrument was manufactured Sept 16 1851 for Lady Manvers, wife or daughter of lord Manvers.

The instrument has been well played the markings on the end lates indicate this. The instrument belongs to Mrs Rosemary Gadd who is a member of the West Country Concertina Players and I am selling it on her behalf.

The instrument plays well and has a good tone which is mellower than my own instrument a Wheatstone Duet. I seriously considered buyng this on from Rosemary because it is so good, but I would have had to sell my Wheatstone.

Rosemary is asking £2000.00 for this instrument, but would consider offers.

I will send interested players pictures

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You seem to have a Lachenal concertina but you have looked up the serial number in the Wheatstone ledgers.  These were two quite separate manufacturers,  competitors in fact, so the information from the ledgers is not relevant to your concertina. Unfortunately there are no surviving Lachenal production records.

 

As an Edeophone it would have been made no earlier than 1889 when the Edeophone design was registered see http://www.concertina.com/pricelists/lachenal/

 

and no later than mid 1930s when Lachenal went out of business.

Edited by Theo
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Theo said:

You seem to have a Lachenal concertina but you have looked up the serial number in the Wheatstone ledgers.  These were two quite separate manufacturers,  competitors in fact, so the information from the ledgers is not relevant to your concertina. Unfortunately there are no surviving Lachenal production records.

 

As an Edeophone it would have been made no earlier than 1889 when the Edeophone design was registered see http://www.concertina.com/pricelists/lachenal/

 

and no later than mid 1930s when Lachenal went out of business.

Thanks for that, I must admit that i was in some doubt regarding the information. BUT it was on the WAYNE ledgersand actually came up as a Lachenal Duet with the right number.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, arti said:

And

The first successful design for a Duet concertina was patented in 1884 by a young performer, “Professor” John Hill Maccann.

see

www.concertina.com/maccann-duet/

Not true, Wheatstone patented a duet at the same tinme as he patented the English.

The duet design was not very good and it was John Hill Maccann who improved it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Harbob said:

Thanks for that, I must admit that i was in some doubt regarding the information. BUT it was on the WAYNE ledgersand actually came up as a Lachenal Duet with the right number.

 

Neil Wayne is the collector who found those ledgers and placed them in the Horniman Museum

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank all of you for your interest and it would appear that the Instrument was made in about, More or less 1906. Thiis not definite  but I used the formula from the following link http://www.concertina.info/tina.faq/conc-ap1.htm. which is a rough guide.

Apart from the dates the information regarding previous ownership  was taken ftom the following link http://search.freefind.com/find.html?id=41202650&pid=r&mode=all&n=0&css=&query=lachenal+maccann+3684&search.x=0&search.y=0

 

Thank you all

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since my name appears prominently in the first link above, the page directed to (written ~2008 and no longer in existence here) would have given you a date about 1919.  But the best current estimate would be from member Dowright who suggested 1910 for No 2700 (here)  and  ~1923 for No. 4062 (here). So you probably need to add 10 years or more to your 1906 estimate.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
Le 21/01/2020 à 17:31, Harbob a déclaré:

Vente d'un duo à boutons Lachenal Edeophone Maccann 63. Numéro de série 3684. 

Le côté droit commence au milieu C tandis que le  côté gauche commence à A2. Le site Web de la bibliothèque Registre Concertina C1074 page 025 indique que cet instrument a été fabriqué le 16 septembre 1851 pour Lady Manvers, épouse ou fille de Lord Manvers.

L'instrument a été bien joué, les marquages sur les derniers combats de l'indiquent. L'instrument appartient à Mme Rosemary Gadd qui est membre des West Country Concertina Players et je le vends en son nom.

L'instrument joue bien et une bonne sonorité plus douce que mon propre instrument, un Wheatstone Duet. J'ai sérieusement envisagé acheté ceci à Rosemary parce qu'il est si bon, mais j'aurais dû vendre mon Wheatstone.

Rosemary demande £ 2000,00 pour cet instrument, mais compte tenu des offres.

J'enverrai des photos aux joueurs intéressés

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/22/2020 at 4:27 PM, Harbob said:

... Wheatstone patented a duet at the same tinme as he patented the English.

The duet design was not very good and it was John Hill Maccann who improved it 

 

In fact it was Wheatstone who designed the core of the duet (and Louis Lachenal built them for him in the 1850s) - what John Hill Maccann did was to extend the fingering pattern/range of it.

 

Despite Maccann having somehow obtained a patent for "his" instrument, Wheatstone's refused to use his name in connection with what they considered "their" duet and always called it the "Wheatstone duet"...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

bonsoir Harbob

je vous ai contacté par mail par votre site et j'ai vu les photos.

je suis intéréssé par la  Vente du duo à boutons Lachenal Edeophone Maccann 63.  Numéro de série 3684.

j'habite en france es ce que cela vous conviens ?

cordialement

Dominique

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, la dome said:

bonsoir Harbob

je vous ai contacté par mail par votre site et j'ai vu les photos.

je suis intéréssé par la  Vente du duo à boutons Lachenal Edeophone Maccann 63.  Numéro de série 3684.

j'habite en france es ce que cela vous conviens ?

cordialement

Dominique

Je crois qu'il a vendu l'article via ebay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...