Wheatstone 48 key ebony-ended baritone Aeola for sale

conzertino

A friend is selling an early ebony-ended baritone ( 23875 ) in good original condition ( old-pitch, 5 fold bellows ).

As you can see it has the rare reduced fretwork of the time.

Contact me ( pm )  for more details or pics...

Price: 2950€ / 2500 Pound

Baritone 000.jpg

Baritone 004.jpg

Edited by conzertino
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, feldmanlen said:

Usually but not always

In Wheatstone's own terminology, for the same fingering as a treble, a "baritone" sounds an octave lower, regardless of the button count.

If, instead, the lower notes are positioned as a downward extension from the standard treble, essentially a further extension of the "tenor-treble" concept, Wheatstone called it a "baritone-treble", not just a "baritone".  In that case, each lower note is on the opposite end of the instrument from a plain "baritone", but the treble notes are each on the same end as on a standard "treble".

In my experience, the only other variant of the English system for which the term "baritone" is used is the "bass-baritone", which has standard "baritone" fingering and range, but extends downward into the bass range, just as the "tenor-treble" extends the treble downward into the "tenor" range.  I.e., the "bass-baritone" is essentially an octave-lower version of the "tenor-treble", just as the standard "baritone" is an octave-lower version of the "treble".

Edited by JimLucas
correction/addition
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a comment on Jim's comment: a "normal" baritone would have 48 key and play an octave below treble.

I also have a 56-key baritone ( ebony ends ) , which is extended up, a 64 key baritone ( gold ends ), which starts on F ( on a middle row! ) and is extended up even further and a 64-key bass-baritone ( metal ends ) which is extended up and down ( an octave below a 64-key tenor-treble ). 

4 hours ago, conzertino said:

a 64 key baritone ..., which starts on F ( on a middle row! )

Huh?  How can it "start" on a "middle row"?

In the usage I'm familiar with, "starts" means the lowest note, which in the English system has to be at the "low" end, and certainly not in the "middle" of anything.

On 1/30/2020 at 3:35 PM, conzertino said:

it is common practice with English concertinas, to tune the lowG# on the left hand outer row to F.

"Common" practice?  I know that quite a few instruments have been modified -- or even built originally -- that way, including one that I once owned.  But it's nowhere near as common as the original -- and unambiguous -- Wheatstone layout.  Of all the English concertinas you've seen and handled, what fraction have had that out-of-pattern low F?

But that's actually a separate issue from your original description, which I found confusing and imprecise.

On 1/30/2020 at 3:35 PM, conzertino said:

On my GE baritone the F is on the right side beside the A on a middle row - and of course it is the lowest note.!?

I interpret that further description to say that there is a "low F" replacing the Ab below middle C (in the location of Ab above middle C on a standard treble, but of course sounding an octave lower on a baritone).  Yes?  That would be extremely "out of pattern" from Wheatstone's keyboard design.

And you didn't saying whether there is a corresponding "low F#", but your description suggests there isn't.  In that case, there's a gap (albeit a "small" one) in the standard of a fully chromatic layout.

Meanwhile, my own 64-button baritone-treble does have both a low F and a low F#, both in the "expected" positions at the "bottom" of the right-hand keyboard.  I suppose that contributed to my confusion as to exactly what you meant by your original description.