Behind the Bellows

Although this is primarily accordion focused, the concertina has a brief presence.  I've included this video here not so much for its limited concertina content as for the fascinating window it provides into the world of bellows driven free reed instruments and some perspective on their many forms.  It's dated 2009, somehow I missed it then but Martin Donohoe of Cavan (Ireland) recently posted a link to it elsewhere that brought it to my attention today.

Behind the Bellows

Before there was concertina.net, there was the usenet group, rec.music.makers.squeezebox, which was a forum for players of all sorts of free-reed bellows instruments. Some of the names appearing in this video (Henry Doktorski, for instance) are folks who were familiar voices in that milieu that I haven’t heard from since.

I was intrigued by the description of the 'Tiger' rock and roll accordion with a blues bend register. 

How did they bend notes by upto a 'fat' quarter tone?

The answer is in this article:

The bassoon reeds are opened only halfway! This restricts airflow and makes it possible to “bend” the pitch of the note down about a half-step by forcefully increasing the bellows pressure.