Jeffries Duet layout

29 minutes ago, david robertson said:

I have a Jeffries Duet coming in soon for restoration, but it's the first of its kind I've tackled in 15 years, and I'm not familiar with the layout. Does any kind soul out there have a diagram that they would be willing to share?

The diagrams are variable depending on the number of buttons, the amount of overlap, the core key, the choice and placement of the lower notes and how the sharps and flats are arranged.  The core seems pretty consistent though.  You can find Nick Robertshaw's diagram for his 51 button as well as a pattern for a smaller box by googling Jeffries duet finger patterns.  Polly Clapp shows a diagram for a 58B in her article in Concertina Journal.  These 3 examples seem to represent a loose standard although of the 6 or 7 I know of the only match is my 51 and Big Nick's.  Additionally, Crabb, Wheatstone and C.Dipper made examples ( as per Polly Clapp) and I can vouch for Crabb and Wheatstone using slightly different set ups.

Hi David,

Excellent news! There weren't that many Jeffries Duets made (maybe 200-300 max) and some have been re-reeded to try to be Anglos, so it's good if this one gets to stay as original as possible.

Attached are a couple of charts for 50 and 60+ buttons in the key of C. Lots of variation in the larger sizes.

Would love to see a photo once  you get it in or when all fixed up.

In related news, I'm getting really close to finishing a Jeffries Duet tutor with over 60 tunes, from super easy to really difficult, including several tunes from "The Rampin' Cat". Can Jeffries Duet World Domination be far behind?!?

Gary

JEFFRIES DUET-C-50.pdf JEFFRIES DUET-C-61-62.pdf

Just when I thought I'd seen it all... the 'Duet' turns out to have been converted from a 38k Anglo, with bits of fretwork removed to make way for extra buttons on the innermost rows. The air-button hole has been blocked up, and new inboard reed slots routed out where it used to be. 

I've seen Duets converted to Anglos, but this is the first time I've seen one switched in the other direction - a bit of vandalism that I imagine has knocked the value back by 75%!

20200104_131949.jpg

20200104_132246.jpg

• Like 2

This must be one of the ones Jim Harvey referred to, mentioned in a previous cnet post, talking about some folks converting from Anglo to JD back in the day.

But you're absolutely right about what it did to the resale value!

Gary