The left end of a 64 button Wheatstone Aeola with leather case

Rikki

This could be really useful for someone if they need a left ebony end for a 64 button extended treble Aeola and/ or a case which fits it perfectly.  The serial number is 35174 - a Model 18B  sold in 1939.  I have no idea where the rest of it is.  I just have the end - i.e. - the ebony end plus 32 buttons, action box and the leather case.  All buttons work well(!).  The case looks like it was made for it as it is a perfect fit.  (The concertina is 7.5 inches across).  

I'm tempted to frame the end and put it on my wall but it would be a terrible shame to do so if someone has a desperate need for it - so here's your chance.  If I get a reasonable offer then it's not going to end up on my wall.

To be honest I've no idea of the value - it's not something you see every day!  

IMG_0256.JPEG

IMG_0257.JPEG

IMG_0258.JPEG

IMG_0259.JPEG

IMG_0262.JPEG

IMG_0265.JPEG

I very nearly put a bid on the listing for the sake of the case....I am sort of glad I didn't as it would have been too big!  A nice one though irrespective of the end(s) it included and very good value.  I did wonder how many 'clicked' through the photo's past those of the box!

Edited by Sprunghub

35174, 25th April (built) / 1st May (shipped?) 1939, 64 keys....from the ledgers.  It was a busy week for 'buttons' as the preceding instrument had 81 and the next two 56.  All denoted 'E' for Ebony/ised, but nothing to indicate style.  Presumably the 81 wasn't an English!

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, Sprunghub said:

35174, 25th April (built) / 1st May (shipped?) 1939, 64 keys....from the ledgers.  It was a busy week for 'buttons' as the preceding instrument had 81 and the next two 56.  All denoted 'E' for Ebony/ised, but nothing to indicate style.  Presumably the 81 wasn't an English!

The model designation in the ledger for #35174 is 18B, which the 1935 Wheatstone price list shows as a 64-key Aeola treble.

The model designation in the ledger for #35173 is 41, which the 1934 Wheatstone price list shows as an 81-key Aeola duet.

(Wheatstone never used the name McCann, as they claimed it was their design first.  They also counted the air button in the button count on duets, but not on Englishes.)