Any news on Mark Lloyd-Adey?

I  posted negatively in December about my poor experience of dealing with Concertina Spares. I have also been contacted privately by two other people who have had bad experiences but wish to remain anonymous. I am always usual silent about such things but I  just don't think it is an acceptable way to do business. And yet good can grow out of bad - I won't order anything else from this supplier so I  have been pushed into making my own parts. I have just completely restored an ec using only parts I have made myself from the basic materials. Not the bellows but everything else - pads, valves, end screws, leather and brass parts, even a button!

So it can be done.

Tiposx

2 hours ago, Stephen Chambers said:

For Wheatstone parts I'd go to C. Wheatstone & Co.: http://www.wheatstone.co.uk/

Not necessarily. A few years ago I had to replace an end bolt on an instrument that Dickinson built himself (a Hayden from the 1980s). I first contacted the Button Box. They didn’t have the right part, and they contacted Wheatstone. He didn’t have it either. I wound up having to go to a local machinist.

Congratulations to you for making the effort to go back to basics.

However, I must put in a positive comment about Mark and Concertina Spares.  He has been slow in fulfilling some orders due to his health issues - which he's been honest about - but the items I've ordered from him both before and after Christmas have all been sent with a minimum of chasing and met my requirements perfectly.  I too make a lot of my own repair and maintenance spares but if you need a good match of a reed, button, lever or whatever for an historic instrument, Mark is one of the first places I'd try and his prices are extremely reasonable.

I'd also go to Steve Dickinson if I needed a match for a Wheatstone part (Not sure why he wouldn't have a matching bolt as he does make his own) or if I needed something of superior quality (for example a new reed to match and blend with existing ones) to what might be available from Mark's historic spares.

Alex West

Edited by Alex West
Post crossed with another relevant item

Concertina Spares is the only place that I know of as a major source to get those old vintage bits and pieces.  Thankfully these instruments were built by hand with simple machines which made them so good and long lasting.  So any of the parts including buttons, levers, reeds, etc (except maybe a glass button) can be built in a small shop with the simplest of equipment and tools.  The good old days!!!  Has there yet come along anything better than leather!  A carbon fibre Concertina with ceramic reeds and plastic bellows anyone?

I hope everything is ok with Mark and as I said, he did apologize and I am hoping again to soon get my parts.  I just picked up a late c.1895 Lachenal baritone with two missing button tops which got me thinking about all this again and so asked him to add these to the order as well.

To answer a comment... I am sure I could make these parts myself with a small lathe, some nickel tubing... soldering some silver discs to the tops.  I have the skill set but I don’t have a small lathe or the material and it’s really not worth it to get one as I restore maybe one concertina every 2 or 3 years for my personal use.

Maybe someone can start an online database where everyone can list all their spare bits and pieces.  I know I have a bunch that I could share.

I put my name on Wim Walker’s wait list over two years ago to get a new EC built in 2022 so hopefully my woes will come to an end with a lifelong instrument but the vintage ones really do have something special about them.  I really do need the help of someone like Mark at Concertina Spares to keep me going with the concertina in the mean time so hopefully things will work out.

Edited by 4to5to6

I have made buttons from T6 aluminium that polish up nicely and look similar to nickel without a magnifying glass. Not historically accurate but it works well and would get the instrument playing again.

Black acetal looks exactly like the original Lachenal tutor accidental buttons. I havent tried any white or red though.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never dealt with Mark but I phoned on Saturday and spoke to his daughter who I think told me he was taking a rest. I asked if I could send an email outlining my wants and she said OK. The email went off and included my phone number, hoping I'd get a response today. It may be he is unwell or extremely busy but I can't wait to find out and like everyone else I'm stuck for a UK supplier so it's off to America, online of course to Concertina Connections.

Baz

• 3 months later...

An update on my earlier post in which I described poor service from Concertina-Spares. I needed some parts that I do not have the tools to create myself. So despite my comments that I would not deal with this supplier again I blinked, and on 10th September I  ordered the part via the website, paying Mark Lloyd-Adey with Paypal.

I am most pleased to report that the parts arrived today, 18th September. As before, they are high quality items. 
Credit where it is due.

Tiposx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/1/2020 at 2:02 PM, MiddleC said:

I'm stuck for a UK supplier so it's off to America, online of course to Concertina Connections.

There is another UK supplier - I can't find their details but something like Cornwall or Cornwell - maybe someone here can provide details.

I visited Mark Lloyd-Adey three weeks ago to drop off a concertina for tuning, as I was passing through Cemmaes. He looks very busy with concertina restorations and repairs, which may explain the delay in sending out orders for parts. He is very much still in business.

Peter