Any players prefer the sound of Durall reeds?

cdelta

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

REED-CHART-JPEG-COMPARISION-VOCI-ARMONICHE-e1501086264539-1024x720.jpg

That's interesting, thanks. It doesn't say which exact alloy they are using, only that is something from the 2000 (aluminium alloyed primarily with copper) or 5000 (aluminium alloyed primarily with magnesium) series. Duralumin technically hasn't been made for many years, but its closest modern equivalents are in the 2000 series.

It's cool to see a comparison chart. Timbre is such a tricky thing to describe with words. Reminds me of the Boy Scout oath.

"I promise to do my best, to be Vigorous Brilliant and Balanced"

I was chatting with Michael at BB about the Grill Cloth option that W3DW mentioned for reducing internal reflections. Apparently, they sometimes use stereo speaker cloth and this makes the sound a bit more mellow, if that's what you're going for. I imagine you could really go down a rabbit trying different cloths and baffles to adjust the tone.

He also mentioned that in his experience there is a huge difference in sound quality and play-ability between standard reeds and the Super Durall. Then there's an almost imperceptible difference between Super Durall and TAM. Then there's another big jump in response and brightness when you move to high end 'A Mano' Concertina reeds. Really nice being able to call them up and get detailed answers.

Edited by cdelta

16 hours ago, cdelta said:

It's cool to see a comparison chart. Timbre is such a tricky thing to describe with words. Reminds me of the Boy Scout oath.

"I promise to do my best, to be Vigorous Brilliant and Balanced"

"How's your new concertina?"

"Well, it's pretty good, but it's not as vigorous and brilliant as I'd have liked"

• Like 1