The Versatility Of The "anglo"

..(PS- I hope I sumitted this post properly this time??--if not, I guess I just stick to reading the forum and playing tunes!!)

No such luck. You did get it right, so now you're going to have to do some posting. ;)

Well, my next step I guess will be to fix my spelling ( i.e.- submitted= not summited!) Well perhaps my excuse is that I have been a banjo player far longer than a concertina player?)--In response to Jim= Hopefully my next post will be to announce the arrival of my new DIPPER ANGLO><<YAHOO YIPPEE>> Yep-it's in its final stages of tuning and tweeking. I have sent Colin my $, I'm just waiting for a case to be made as the person who makes the cases has recently broken his arm--THE NERVE OF HIM!!! (HA! HA!!-just kidding)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>I have recently bought a CD of "Grand Picnic" which is the Contra Dance

> band in which Jody Kruskal is the Anglo Player. I had the tape but wore

Jody's always been my favorite anglo player for contra music. He's great when he's playing lead -- but even more amazing to me, he plays fantastic backup with his concertina. It really drives the band. I've been trying to emulate his style for years.

And dancing to Grand Picnic is an experience. Talk about high energy; I thought it was coronary time for a few of us dancing at the Half Moon Sword Ale, when the band got good and revved up.

Edited by Jim Besser

From the correspondance I have had with Jody he has caught the excitement of this project and has got his band together for a recording session shortly,I am really looking foreward to getting his music.

Graham is producing an information booklet to go with the collection including information on concertina`s being played,photos etc all the information that we on this site would be interested in.The general public may find it all a bit boring but we will love it.

Al ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The current update on this project is that we are so delighted with the recordings we have received that instead of cutting some out, as per our original plan,we have decided to keep them in.The two CD collection is now three.

Al :rolleyes:

Yep-it's in its final stages of tuning and tweeking.  I have sent Colin my $, I'm just waiting for a case to be made as the person who makes the cases has recently broken his arm--THE NERVE OF HIM!!! (HA! HA!!-just kidding)

Don't panic, Colin knows how to make cases - he made the case for my Dipper baritone.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Dear All

Just to let you all know we are nearly there,only one recording to come in.

I will give you a full list next week of the final line up.

We have had a name change,it is now called

"ANGLO INTERNATIONAL"

Anglo concertina music from around the World.

Chris will be pleased to know more Fred Kilroy has turned up.

The collection is on course for distribution on 1st July

Now three CDs and will come with a booklet showing the concertinas being played

and as much information as can be crammed into the booklet which comes with the

package.

I think the last count was twenty six anglo players, but I have been too busy with this to count them.

Al :)

"If a job is worth doing,

It`s worth spending twenty years thinking about it."

The collection is on course for distribution on 1st July

Now three CDs and will come with a booklet showing  the concertinas being played

and as much information as can be crammed into the booklet which comes with the

package.

Great news Al. Is it already known how and where to order this unique collection?

(I just can't wait :rolleyes: )

Henk in reply .

Graham will be posting the full details of where to buy this collection in the future on this site, as I promised Ken. Button Box have also expressed an interest in distributing these when available.

Thanks Helen and Allison,I am looking forward to seeing you at the George.

This last week we have had a flurry of recordings in including

John Kirkpatrick,Niall Valleley,Felix Castro and his group from Spain, all wonderful recordings and today I have just picked up John Watchams recordings, who last night recorded a Morris Dance set.I am rather pleased we have got John on board, he was very hard to find as we thought he was still somewhere in London.He was actually living twenty miles away in Brighton.He then decided not to record owing to pressures of work.I persisted and my word the best bit of Morris dance playing I have heard has been the result.

John Kirkpatrick of course has turned in the perfect exciting performance and Niall I have not heard, but Graham tells me that he has recorded amongst other music

"The Mathmetician".This tune was discussed in the past by Dave Swarbrick and Graham and Dave said any fiddler playing this tune properly was a great fiddler and Niall plays this on his concertina.

We have just the one recording and then it is down to Graham.I just cannot thank you all enough for your support.I am also now confident I have not let you down.

I am now waiting for Grahams updated CDs,which is good as I have nearly worn out the last updated ones.

Al