The Versatility Of The "anglo"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my attempt to help promote younger players a 15 year old is being taken to a studio for experiance.What she does not know it is for this project.Imagine her surprise when she finds out.If it does not work out ,she will not be dissapointed, but she will be a name for the future from what I am led to believe.

I like everyone else, was taken with the brilliant and unusual style of Zak (see Henks`recorded tune page).I have spoken to Zak and he has agreed to do some urgent recording for me.Where I shall put him at this stage I do not know, but please add his name to the list of artists.

Al

Chris,during our conversation Zak mentioned what a wonderful session you both played at and how much he enjoyed it.

I had a very nice chat with him and I enjoyed our conversation very much,a really nice fellow and very interesting to talk to.He was talking about the possibility of coming across to one of your sessions but from Portsmouth that is a long way.

Helen a tiddler is a small fish or something small. :huh:

Al :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update you all on the progress of this project.

The two recordings found at the British Library turned out to be the very ones used on the Topic Album.I must say I take my hat off to them for finding these tracks as we only found them by accident and the reference numbers that we were given bore no resemblence to where we found these.We are investigating the Squash box playing on a French record which is no longer in publication and see if we can get permission to use a couple of tracks and I will report back on that.

The young lady(15 years old) I mentioned in my former posting was Kate McNamara a protege of Mary but no relation.We have her recordings and she has a slightly different style to Mary and I am certain you will enjoy her playing as much as Graham and I have.Another young star.

It looks more like a June release date now, as we have been informed of a late recording by someone who is worth waiting a couple of weeks for.

Al

Thanks for your interest Derek,you and the rest of this site will be the first to know.

It was always my intention to include an American Contra Dance band on this collection and I can now tell you that Jody Kruskal and friends have agreed to contribute.I have never heard Jody, but from the reports I have received I think we have an exciting new addition.

Al :rolleyes: anticipating

Al,

I wait with bated, baited, whatever breath for this super CD.

Actually I wait with frosty breath as I have had no heat since Saturday at 6am. Ice storm and 5" of snow. Wouldn't have been so bad if my fingers weren't white with cold. :ph34r: :(

This project is just terrific. Thanks for all of your hard work. :)

Helen who is happy to hear of your great success :) :) :)

Living on the river though Derek you have probably heard the old saying

"Never put your Keepnet in the water until you have landed the fish"

I will wait and see what you all think of it when it is finished and then put the keepnet in the water.

A long way to go yet and a lot more work.I have groundbated however. ;)

Al

Thanks for your interest Derek,you and the rest of this site will be the first to know.

It was always my intention to include an American Contra Dance band on this collection and I can now tell you that Jody Kruskal and friends have agreed to contribute.I have never heard Jody, but from the reports I have received I think we have an exciting new addition.

Al :rolleyes: anticipating

I have recently bought a CD of "Grand Picnic" which is the Contra Dance band in which Jody Kruskal is the Anglo Player. I had the tape but wore it out but I found this CD through the Button Box. It's a wonderful recording, and YES Jody Kruskal is a fine player. I highly recommend this CD if you are into this genre of music.

..(PS- I hope I sumitted this post properly this time??--if not, I guess I just stick to reading the forum and playing tunes!!)

Edited by Steven Hollander