The Versatility Of The "anglo"

About twenty years ago I discussed with John Kirkpatrick an idea I had about making a record of the "Versatility of the Anglo" and the various ways that it can be played.John liked the idea,so much so ten years after he asked me if I was still thinking about it.I do not remember discussing this with Graham Bradshaw Roots Records,but three months ago talking to him about "Rosbif",he said"When are you going to do that Versatility of the Anglo collection you talked to me about".Well that was the kickstart I required and now I can tell you about it ,after three months solid work.

The collection is on a double CD, as one was not big enough and features artists

everyone of which has a different style of playing. About ninety per cent of the recordings are new,I did not want a collection that a collector could put together in his front room from old records.

Early into this collection I approached Roger Digby who not only caught my enthusiasm but jumped in to help,he found some wonderful archive material of some artists no longer with us and slightly altered my original ideas on the final product and I must thank him for his hard work and ideas.

The artists on the collection are as follows

John Kirkpatrick,Noel Hill,Mary McNamara,Niall Valleley,Roger Digby also accompanying Bob Davenport,Will Duke(UK)

Frank Edgley(Canada),Roger Edwards(UK) also accompanying his wife and her sister.

Andy Turner(UK),Tom Lawrence(USA).Bertram Levy(USA), Mandy Murray(UK) X Irish Champion,Harry Scurfield (UK),Regardt de Bruin (South Africa) and a little bit from me.Other artists are included but for various reasons they are not listed at this stage.

We also have archive recordings from Andrew Blakeny Edwards (someone you will all be talking about),Fred Kilroy,Nigel Chippendale,Scan Tester, Mrs Crotty

and Zulu Squashbox music from the British Library.

I think you will agree a fantastic line up.

You will find that the collection gives an introduction to styles but it is too big a subject to cover even in approximately 2 X 80 min CDs.It will also be interesting for anglo music presentation and song accompaniment styles.

I must finally thank the following for their help suggestions and encouragement

Graham Bradshaw (for letting me loose and paying for all this)

Daniel Bradbury,Jim Lucus,Sharron Blackmore,Flip Delport,Sean Minnie,Vic Smith and his wonderful Scan Tester collection,The British Library and finally Alex Jones who is helping with the computer work on the archives.

Finally I apologise to all those wonderful players I have missed out.I shall just have to take the critisism for many of you who will come up with names I should have included, but I can only say that you will not be unhappy with this collection which shows the versatility of the Anglo.

It will be released in May (hopefully) and its cost will be the price of a single CD.

I will give you further details later.

Al

Edited by Alan Day

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic work Alan :D that is brilliant.

Can't wait to get my hands on it - I have been trying to track down some Fred Kilroy for ages! A lot of people have talked about his distinctive style, but until you hear it yourself you just can't judge. The more people talked about it, the sader I was becoming because there was nothing commercially available - until now.

This has really cheered me up :) :) :)

We can thank Roger for this one Peter.

Fred plays "Blaze away" only the one recording sadly,but his playing is superb and this recording prompted my "You can hear players personalities "comment recently.

Al

Thank you all for your support,the real test is if you all enjoy the music and those comments will be the ones I await with nervous tension.

We thought it would be boring for a succession of anglo players playing solo,so there is a mixture that should appeal to all tastes not just concertina players but all lovers of music.

I think I would have bought this collection just for Andrew Blakeny Edwards playing

but as the wonderful performances of everyone mentioned are coming in,I cannot think of a more exciting experience.I punched the air after one I listened to.

I am not going to comment on any living player on the collection, but I must just say that for a 16 year old Regardt de Bruin will make your jaw drop that anyone so young can play so well.

Al

Edited by Alan Day

Can't wait to get my hands on it - I have been trying to track down some Fred Kilroy for ages!  A lot of people have talked about his distinctive style, but until you hear it yourself you just can't judge. 

Same here. As an owner (there are quite a few of us, I think) of one of Fred's concertinas I have been trying to find anything of his to listen to as well.

Given that Neil Wayne's projected overview of the concertina has so far shown no signs of materialising, I think that this collection sounds timely as well as interesting. I really look forward to hearing it. Very well done indeed, Alan. Maybe someone will feel inspired to produce a simliar collection or collections focussed on English and duet.

Cheers, (i.e. hip hip hooray!)

Chris

Thanks Chris,your the second to ask about a follow up of other concertinas and I have already investigated "THE DUET" as a possible follow up.This project the "Anglo" is very costly to put together.We are paying costs for artists to use studios to do our recordings and if you look at the number of artists, that is one hell of a lot of money.Luckily some musicians have not charged for their recordings but others are costly, so swings and roundabouts.It will very much depend on the reaction we get to this one ,above all sales and then we shall see.

I have already talked to Graham, Roots Records on this subject and he agrees in principle.I already have some possible rare archive material and players lined up,but I will need a rest after the work I have and still am putting into this one.

Thanks again Chris for your interest and suggestion.

Al :ph34r: the mask is covering the tiredness rings under my eyes !!

Alan:

Have you considered having this CD available through this website, perhaps with a nominal percentage going to support Concertina.net? It may not net giant sales, but certainly would be a guaranteed set of sales (myself included!) I'm not great businessman, just a thought....

Greg

Thanks for the suggestion,the marketing of the CD will be down to Graham and he will investigate all avenues of distribution.We would like to involve the ICA if possible ( any money I receive for this and future projects will go to them).

I will however pass your suggestion to Graham and if this site were interested I am sure Graham would like to know. The Button Box have expressed an interest

so that is a good sign.

Al

...the marketing of the CD will be down to Graham and he will investigate all avenues of distribution.

I would think that informing/advertising to both the ICA and Concertina.net should be quite effective, and far more efficient than trying to involve either in distribution.

After all, Roots Records has a web site where one can make purchases, no?

Roots Records do have a website Jim (rootsrecs@btclick.com)but special rates are going to be offered to ICA if they are interested in offering the CDs to their members.This was my idea,which Graham agreed to ,to help the Association.If there is no interest from them,then no matter Graham will follow his usual marketing routes.

Al :)

You are right Henk

It is like repairing a concertina that you know has not been played for about fifty years and you play the first tune on it.

The players have all been a joy to work with and have all surpassed even my expectations.It is great fun and very exciting to do and when a little parcel from some part of the World plops through my letter box, a new recording and it is fantastic,you can imagine the feeling.I have now for nearly four months been listening to concertina playing and it is addictive when I get to the end ,I put it back on again. I would think with your recording page you must almost get the same sort of reaction.

Al

Thank you very much Allan for your recognition. I sincerely hope that Regardt’s contribution will inspire other teenagers to take up the challenge and become masters of playing the Anglo. I congratulate you for your part in this project.

Flip Delport