Safest way to sell an instrument unline

beryl

I am thinking about selling an instrument on  line and would appreciate advice about the process. Specifically I would like advice about how to collect a safe payment prior to shipping the instrument.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Others may have different takes on this, but my experience is to advertise on whatever web site relates to the instrument in question. For example this site if I’m selling a concertina, Mandolin Cafe if I’m selling a Mandolin, etc.   I always specify and require the use of PayPal and never ship until I’ve received the payment.  I have sold many instruments in this manner and never had an issue.  Of course YMMV.  Good luck with it!

If it's a concertina then this is a good place to advertise with only a modest voluntary donation requested to cover running of the site. Many of those interested in the instrument look at this site and share what they see with others which increases your potential 'shop window'.

I'd second Mike S's advice in terms of transactions.

An alternative is to collect payment by bank transfer (BACS) and only ship once payment is safely received (I have found this has been troubled free for a couple of concertina and dulcimer sales/purchases I have made).

(rcr27 and I posted at the same moment, so excuse the lack of flow!)

Edited by Myrtle's cook

Another issue to consider is bank transaction fees when shipping money across continents. Sometimes you'll lose obscene amounts disappearing among the institutions involved in the transaction.

In terms of where to sell, I'd second Mike. Selling via c.net is generally a very safe and trustworthy thing to do, in particular if the buyer is someone with a high number of postings and a respected contributor.

Edited by RAc

4 minutes ago, RAc said:

Another issue to consider is bank transaction fees when shipping money across continents. Sometimes you'll lose obscene amounts disappearing among the institutions involved in the transaction.

Absolutely true and the transaction costs are never made clear beforehand.  Both ends charge fees for doing bugger all.

48 minutes ago, DickT said:

I have sold two concertinas this year through this site and it went well each time.

Similarly I've sold three this year. All sales went well. Members of this site seem to be a pretty decent, honest lot! Two payments were by bank transfer and one by cheque. You end up paying the banks whichever method you choose - a fact of life I suggest.

Cheers,

LJ

99.9% of the time I sell through this or other instrument-related sites that I frequent.  I have had good luck with the German e-bay site, https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-bandoneon/k0 for the Bandoneons that I bought, but sort of held my breath with each transaction.  You can hopefully tell in the pre-sale emails whether or not the person is reputable.

Kind regards,

Rod