Best cheap but good 20b concertina?

I'm looking for a good cheap concertina, preferably 20 Buttons because those seem like good beginner. I've looked for youtube reviews but there all old concertina music videos. Any recommendations?

Thanks for all the help and recommendations! Considering (from what i've heard) that an anglo is for more folksy tunes and such, and seems to be more difficult to play because of the button count. What 30b or less folk/irish sounding concertinas would be better to be more creative with the range of sounds? (Please note that I am very, very new to concertinas. I am an accordion student, excuse if I use a concertina phrase in the wrong fashion).

Edited by Mr.ButtonMcSqueezebox

Hi and welcome to the forums. Re your inquiry (apparently concerning the Anglo concertina, given the button count) to start with you would have to make up your mind whether to go for a vintage or a modern (accordion-reeded) instrument. The decision is a tough one if you'd be aspiring to play a 30b instrument, as vintage instruments (Lachenal asf.) tend to be quite expensive. A "modern" 20b instrument might cost you as little as 100 GBP, cheaply made in China and with building qualities that vary a lot. OTHO a vintage 20b Mahogany Lachenal can be found for 350 or 400 GBP on a dealer's website, for instance here (slightly more; no connection). It's a matter of individual preference and taste - I would strongly advocate for the vintage route, if you could afford the price as indicated.

Hope that helps; best wishes - ?

If you buy a cheap Chinese 20B and then find you don't get on with it then you are unlikely to be able to sell it and get your money back.

If you buy a playable vintage 20B and find that you do not like it then at least you will be able to sell it for something like what you paid for it.  I emphasize playable, buy one from a reputable dealer or a player that you know who can demonstrate that everything works.  There are lots of 'project' concertinas out there.

Concertinas are expensive, but good ones do tend to hold their value.

3 hours ago, Mr.ButtonMcSqueezebox said:

I'm looking for a good cheap concertina, preferably 20 Buttons because those seem like good beginner.

I've looked for youtube reviews but there all old concertina music videos. Any recommendations?

The terms 'good' and 'cheap' are pretty much irreconcilable when it comes to concertinas - as has

already been hinted at here.

My first instrument was a 20-button vintage C/G, and I'm really, really glad I didn't go down the road

which includes buying a cheap Chinese instrument.

It is possible to get vintage 20-button Anglos at a 'reasonable' price - from a reputable dealer.  This

dealer for example (*), currently has 3 or 4 C/G Anglos. It's worth considering going down this route,

it may cost more at the start, but you will gave a chance of getting a large(ish) proportion of your

money back if you decide the 'tina is not for you.

If you are not based in the U.K. hunt around for similar dealers in your own domicile.

(*)I have no connection with this dealer, other than that of being a satisfied customer.

Edited by lachenal74693

A 20 button is not necessarily easier to play than a 30.  A beginner may think that fewer buttons = less complication, but those duplicated notes on the third row of a 30 b can make some tunes very much easier.

I own a couple of 30 buttons and a coupe of 20s.  I find the 20s challenge me to improve my technique.

If I were to buy a 20 b, I would look for a nice old Lachenal.  I have played a few of the cheap Chinese 20 and 30 button instruments and they can be so clunky that they are off-putting to play.

However, if you want to start playing Anglo from the position of a complete beginner, the obvious choice is the Rochelle, which is a 30 b in C/G.

I tend to agree with Mikefule, the only benefit of buying 20k instruments is in a cost of acquisition. I would suggest you think about the playing disbenefits of a 20k , what  music you wish to play, and have a look at a 26 k instrument if you can. Remember also the reed tongue's metal is also important as well. If you are playing dance, sessions etc. you really should consider steel reeds, rather than brass.