So grateful

mathhag

So this may seem kind of sappy. I just had to post how happy I am playing  my concertina.  I am finally starting to feel like I am playing music. This morning I played through most of my repertoire mostly by ear. 
For me this is earth shattering . I started to play the concertina a little over two years ago. It is the first instrument I ever played. I don’t read music but ABC notation really helps me. Also Gary Coover’s books really helped to get me started.

As did so many helpful folks. I was lucky enough to meet Jody Kruskal and Doug Barr at NESI and they gave me encouragement and Doug gave me my first set. Also Marta Vogel introduced me to Gary’s book . Doug Creighton help me pick out my first instrument and has continued to help me.

Here was this old woman who wanted to start playing a musical instrument  but everyone kind of said jump right in. So I have. 
Mairead Hurley was ridiculously patient with me when I attended Boxwoods and couldn’t find a “B” much of the time. Everyone else was very advanced but she helped me a long. 
I have not mentioned that I live very close to the end of the world with no teachers nearby so I must use online resources or travel. I allow myself one major trip each year for instruction. This past summer I attended Noel Hill’s week. He was fantastic. My husband noted he could hear that I was better at the end of the week.

My husband has been so supportive. He noted that I have never really spent any money on myself so when I had the amazing opportunity to purchase a Dipper, he said go for it. It is my joy and Colin put up with my gazillion issues about the materials that were used since I need to cross borders. 
My husband also gave me a subscription to Caitlín Nic Gabhann online course. I love it.

Bruce McCaskey has been unbelievably kind and helped me in so many ways. We have never met but he has been so wonderful.

And Halifax aka Christine has been a great online friend.

This is all to say thank you all for the gift of music in my life.

Edited by mathhag
  • Like 6

Hi Mathhag (I Know who your REALLY are ?) I'm so glad you're enjoying it. I'm working my way through Caitlin's courses now, too. Very different from Noel, but I'm learning a lot, as well. See you sometime again perhaps!

Susan