Garbage In Our Forums

RP3

:angry: It seems that we have once more been invaded by the spammers and worthless merchants of the ether world. It wasn't enough that they had to render eBay almost useless to us for selling our instruments, but now they invade our favorite website too. I hope that Ken or Paul can block "Jonni" and his/her worthless e-mail promotions.

Good luck guys and thanks for maintaining a great website.

Ross

Thanks Ross. I've deleted Jonni and his junk, and put in some MORE filters... Ken and I are trying our best to stay on top of these scumbags. Sigh, yes, it is frustrating... especially with the hundreds and hundreds of spam emails I get everyday in my in-box.

Paul

I know it can get to you'all, but at present I'm more willing to keep dinging them manually than to move to options like moderation (your posts have to be reviewed before they appear; not enough hours in the day for me or Paul to do that) or making it hard to join or post. We think what all you write is funny, wise, and amusing. My online presence is limited so I don't have the email headaches Paul does. And when they do spam us, don't let it get you. Just ignore it, and we will get to it. We still outnumber them. Maybe you should have to play a tune on a concertina before we let you post an ad! B)

Why do they do it? What can they make from it?

The ISPs are as thick as thieves with the spammers - they must be taking some backhanders somewhere. Try opening a Hotmail account and you get spam the same day. How do the spammers know? Inside knowledge?

Why do they do it? What can they make from it?

The ISPs are as thick as thieves with the spammers - they must be taking some backhanders somewhere. Try opening a Hotmail account and you get spam the same day. How do the spammers know? Inside knowledge?

Geoff, if those aren't intended as rhetorical questions, I'll be happy to answer you off-Forum, but I will not respond further to this Topic, nor even look at it again. In fact, I wish Paul would delete it, too.

IMO, discussing spam -- especially spam that's been deleted -- is at least as annoying as the spam itself, and furthermore helps to inflate the spammers' importance and disruptive effect.

As I said... my opinion.