Cd Recommendations?

Hi,

I am on the brink of buying 2 or 3 CDs...and am soliciting advice. I know there must be a million really good CDs. But for those people who own multiple CDs...what are a few good ones? I guess I am not looking for a recent favorite...but a CD that would be a favorite of all time. I am looking for one in the Irish genre, and another in the Sea Songs genre. And of course I am looking for CDs that include Anglo concertina.

Advice?

Mike

Hi,

I am on the brink of buying 2 or 3 CDs...and am soliciting advice.  I know there must be a million really good CDs.  But for those people who own multiple CDs...what are a few good ones?  I guess I am not looking for a recent favorite...but a CD that would be a favorite of all time.  I am looking for one in the Irish genre, and another in the Sea Songs genre.  And of course I am looking for CDs that include Anglo concertina. 

Advice?

Mike

Best advice, blow your retirement funds :).

Just too much, really good, Irish stuff out there to limit it to one or two CDs. I would suggest checking out the music page for at least an introduction to whats available.

--

Bill

Both Mary Macnamara cds are my favorites for slowish, un-ornamented Irish.

Tim Collins "Dancing On Silver" is my favorite Irish cd at the moment.

If you think Mary Macnamara's playing is un-ornamented, you need to listen a bit more closely. That's like saying Micho Russell's playing is un-ornamented.

They both play a particular style from Clare that has the emphasis on the tune rather than the musician. There is plenty of ornamentation in their playing, it's just not as "showy" as Noel Hill may choose to play. Sometimes understating a tune makes more of an impact.

Hi,

I am on the brink of buying 2 or 3 CDs...and am soliciting advice.  I know there must be a million really good CDs.  But for those people who own multiple CDs...what are a few good ones?  I guess I am not looking for a recent favorite...but a CD that would be a favorite of all time.  I am looking for one in the Irish genre, and another in the Sea Songs genre.  And of course I am looking for CDs that include Anglo concertina. 

Advice?

Mike

Hi Mike

My advice to myself is that whenever I go to a music event where CDs are on sale I will always set myself a limit beforehand of how many CDs I'll allow myself to buy. Usually only one or two. Then even if there are more that I would like I have to be strong with myself. Hard to do, but then at the next event I already have some ideas about what I might buy. The collection soon starts to build up.

Oh and don't limit yourself to (Irish style) Anglo concertina players. Its the music not the instrument!

Theo

Hi,

I am on the brink of buying 2 or 3 CDs...and am soliciting adviceMike

You give no indication of where you are based. Claddagh Records in Temple Bar (Dublin) is worth a visit if you are in Ireland. They also post stuff out see Claddagh Records, you can even search by concertina and they give a really good list of top quality recordings (in my opinion!). [i have no connection with this company].

The music list on this site (concertina.net) is also very good. In the end it is all down to personal taste but I would list the irish style artisits in this order:

Mary Macnamara

Noel Hill

Niall Vallely

Chris Sherburn (in a band called "Last Night's Fun")

Tim Collins

Well I haven't been here for a while, but I have asked the same question too in the past.

Of all the concertina cds that I have...err...they creep up on you slowly until you are overwhelmed by them....my favourites have to be..

Kitty Hayes

Tim Collins

Elizabeth Crotty

Probably in that order too.......these three have been played so many more times than all the rest.....

Enjoy your search and prepare to empty your pockets..

Sharron

Hi,

You give no indication of where you are based.

Mike is the same Mike I visited in east central Massachusetts last week; he continues to advance through the concertina-holic stages at 20 times normal speed. I just suggested he go to the Button Box and ask Doug C. for suggestions. He has a bunch of opened CDs behind the counter, maybe you can listen to them.

Hi,

You give no indication of where you are based.

Mike is the same Mike I visited in east central Massachusetts last week; he continues to advance through the concertina-holic stages at 20 times normal speed. I just suggested he go to the Button Box and ask Doug C. for suggestions. He has a bunch of opened CDs behind the counter, maybe you can listen to them.

Sending an addict to the Button Box? Why not just hold him down and mainline it for him? You are an evil man Ken. I salute you for that!